Anybody familiar with Mundorf silver&oil caps

I am planning to use 3.9uF Mundorf silver oils as output coupling caps in my phono stage. ( The stock coupling caps consists of a paired 4.7uF and 3.3uf polypropylenes )

I have a couple of 0.022uF TFTF V-Caps lying around. Would there be any benefit in bypassing the 3.9uF Mundorf with the smaller V-Caps or am I just wasting my time?

Generally I do not like bypassing coupling caps, but the 3.9uF is somewhat big and I am concerned that it is going to be a little slow.

I know I can always try and see what it sounds like, but the V-Caps are unused, so if there would be zero benefit I’d rather leave them in unused state for the possibility of selling or swapping them out later on.

Comments/thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
pauly
pjl2122, I see the new Mundorf SOG is quite bumped up in price & is now pretty close to V-Cap TFTF. Can you elaborate on your opinion of SOG relative to other Mundorf & other caps you might have compared it to?
yes the Mundorf Sog is a combination of the silver oil
which is detailed and smooth and the ultra detailed silver gold ,which thins out the mids Vg for the top end though .
Still a little spot lighted up top some people like drivers and equipment like this . The Duelund products we are using in the reference xover in the NSR Loudspeaker transform the Xover into a naturalness beyond reproach.it takes a very good loudspeaker and puts it into 2x the price class teritory.
Please remember the Duelund product the vsf line is over $500 for 4 caps alone and are completely hand made with NO plastics used this is why they are so natural ,no teflon,or poly, natural papers,mineral oil cocoon silk and high purety Copper foil , under high pressures for 8 days , now that is dedication this is why they are the RR of caps and their Silver and round caps are even better !
To anyone doubting what I say go to the link below Tony is one of the most experienced guys out there on Capacitors and he helped me get started several years ago in the effects of changing caps and resistors please see.
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
Paul, I can not comment on that particular cap, since I have not used it, but with double and triple bypasses in general one can really change the sonic quality of the piece. I would experiment a bit before setting on a specific value.

As long as you have the case open to do the cap work, why not add a few Vishay s104s or VSRs in the cart loading stage, and in the shunt resistor slots on the phono pre output stage?
Both will make the stage quieter, and improve the resolution.

best

JOhn
Hi folks

The thread is a little old and I do not own that phono stage anymore.

I ended up using Dynamicaps and bypassed them with 0.022uF V-Cap TFTFs. To my ear the bypassing did improve sound and did not smear the representation in any way. If anything, things were more detailed and more focused, but seemed to have a gentler nature. Dynamicaps can sometimes be a little zippy.

Thanks for the responses.

Regards
Paul