Radical thought- Use 2 pair of speakers

Ok this sounds crazy at first but, is it possible and practical to hook up two sets of speakers for your mains. Each pair has it's own unique characteristics to why not add them together? It is still a 2 channel system. A bigger sound stage? If you have two matched amps, dedicate one to each? I know there are many reason why this cuts accross conventional logic but has anyone tested this theory?
128x128blueskiespbd
Each pair has (its) own unique characteristics to why not add them together
Because most likely you'll have more of cancellation and addition than complementarity, resulting in nulls & humps.
But... you never know!
Seems like it would be hard to get them to image well with such a large baffle area. (I guess I assumed you meant they would sit side by side?)
You are forgetting that benefits are not always additive. Sub woofers have long wavelengths, which are not directional to our ears, and hence can be additive. Mid range and tweeter frequencies are not additive....the result will be excessive comb filtering or a vague atmospheric sound that totally lacks focus. Even on a surround system the speakers should all match in timbre and characteristics (means you should really use the same speakers to get the most benefit).

Surround sound only works because the speakers are separated distinctly and the channel information fed to each speaker is specific for that arrangement, including delay adjustments according to specific speaker/listener positions.
Many recoriding studios use two different sets of monitors at once. If it works it works...

DV