bass problem in a sailboat

Hi!

I have a sailboat with a nice marine-grade stereo, built by Poly-Planar. There are four speakers, powered by a 4 X 45 (180 watts total) head unit. The speakers each have a 5 1/4" "woofer". I generally like the sound. The not-so-low bass is great, but I'd like to boost the really low frequencies just a little. I listen to mostly classical music, and I miss a few very low notes that I hear clearly on my home system. I'm NOT talking about great volume. I just want to boost the very low bass a little. I did this once years ago in a Camaro by simply adding an equalizer to the factory system. I DON'T want to add an amplifier and subwoofer because I don't need the extra magnetic field nor the additional power drain. An equalizer also seems inappropriate because, in this case, it would be a "set it and forget it" thing that I would hide somewhere. Is there a simple way to boost just the very low notes a little with the existing speakers and head unit?

Regards,
Troy Scott
tscott1217d0eb
if you want to get the lowest bass from your sailboat, i would recommend the longest fishing line available. or maybe a "sub" woofer? :-) sorry, couldn't resist! happy holidays!
It may limitation of either the speakers or pre-amp stage not delivering the frequency range or both. If all 4 speakers are in same area why not try getting new speakers? Two that deliver better low mid to high and two that deliver mostly low freq..
Just a thought.
I'll second theo. New speakers may make a world of difference.
180 watts is not a "ton" of power either. Consider more efficient speakers. There are some 2 ohm jobs out there that will sound a lot louder (produce more bass with less volume).
The drawback is that many speakers are that are rated at lower impedance are less efficient.
Finally, are the speakers in good enclosures? You may consider better enclosures or even speakers with baffles or enclosures attached. Look at Niles or Sonance for ideas with in-walls.