Best tube-based phono stage?

I'm asking for a friend. I'm a digital guy. Don't be haters!
realremo
I believe Jarobertson is refering to the excessive moderation that has been in place since the A'gon "upgrade" was put in place. It ruins the flow of the conversations, IMHO.
well I'll have to be patient I guess. I enjoy looking at everyone's recommendations. I found several brands here that I would have otherwise never discovered: HSU, Wireworld, Lifatec, blue jeans cable, Musical Fidelity, and PS Audio. My college roommate is the one seeking ideas, now he'll benefit too. He's not much of a forum guy, or he'd be on here.
I think given the cost constraints that a "good" tube phono stage will be hard to do. However there is another thread discussing the delight a couple of posters have with their Jolidas. New I think your still bumping up on your ceiling. Perhaps a used Jolida but no fancy tube rolling which is expensive and in my mind usually optimizes tube gear. (That thread likes the cheap tubes so it may not allways be needed.)
Thus again, for the money, I am telling you that you can't beat the Graham Amp Gram Amp 2SE. It is where to go and it is for MM.
I agree with Mechans, the cost constraints will make getting a good phono stage unlikely at best. Maybe you could pick up and older, used Audible Illusions 2D, which is a full function preamp with built in phono stage for around $400-500. That leaves you another $400-500 for a turntable/arm/cart. Probably a Rega or Project starter table.

Far from what the title of this thread would lead most people to believe. You gotta be careful when talking about "the best". You won't find it for under a kilo-buck, that's for sure.
In that price point you might want to also check out the Hagerman Coronet II. You can also save a bunch and have some fun if you are somewhat handy and can build it yourself from the half kit Jim Hagerman sells. There are several "mods - parts substitutions" that pay off in spades too.