Perhaps we should stick with midfi...

I just bought a $60,000 system with big names like krell, Audio Research, Mcintosh, B&W 802 D speakers, Sony SACD, Transparent wires, etc, and I get more enjoyment from my sub $1000 I put together used with ADS speaker, NAD monitor pre amp, Onkyo Integra M-504 power amp, Toshiba SD-9200 DVD player (as CD and DVD).

I am thinking I should have stopped with my midfi system now...

Anyone else have similar sentiments, or is my ear not golden enough to hear the difference yet?
gonglee3
It makes sense to me. Even assuming the high cost system is completely synergized it's possible and reasonable for someone to prefer a less refined sound. The key is that he enjoys his listening experience.

As a rhetorical question - what's the difference between a $1,000 system, a $10,000 system and a $100,000 system? The cheapest system could actually sound pretty decent, especially if purchased used. The middle system will be clearly better in every area and will be capable of very high quality sound reproduction. The expensive system will perform better than the middle system in certain areas, but the difference between it and the middle system is less than that of the middle system and the cheapest system.

I frequently read posts where "the journey" aspect of this hobby is invoked. This person's journey deserves as much respect as any other. And as a point of reference his mid-fi system isn't all that mid-fi.
Like others have said, it could be a system mismatch. Why don't you post a couple of photos with your virtual systems ? Maybe it is your room set-up, and other members could help you with that. I have no personal experience, but from everything I have read, those B&Ws can be annoying if they're not fed right.
Try some other cables and see if that fixes the problem. I think you might be pleasantly surprised. Obviously, though, the more you spend on a system, the higher your expectations will be.
08-15-10: Rlwainwright
Maybe I'm wroing, but I smell troll...

-RW-

08-15-10: Daverz
I don't believe it, either.

If you look at all his systems he has, none of them have the higher end equipment that he mentions. Mmmm.....