What are your fav “Off Hollywood” films

I thought I'd ask other's here to share their thoughts on flicks they've found to be outstanding, or even their own personal favs… aside from those which Hollywood has promoted to the hilt and everyone already knows about unless they’ve benn living on Saturn.

So if you can think of those ‘non main stream’ efforts, or those films which either didn’t get their due, or only a few likely know about, but are indeed, very good to great film experiences, please share your thoughts here. This would be kind of like an indi list of movies so to speak.

So…. What are your fav non block buster flicks?

Here are some of my favs in no particular order:

1 Lonestar State of Mind
2 Thursday
3 A Bronx Tale
4 Clay Pigeons
5 Palmetto
6 Things To Do In Denver When You’re Dead
7 Prophecy (any of the first 3)
8 Hollow Point
9 Ice harvest
10 Take the Money and Run

If you have to include a mainstreamer or two go ahead. I’m curious to see as esoteric as many of us are with audio, what’s up with our tastes in film, and hopefully broaden some perspectives there.

Have fun, and thanks very much
blindjim
A couple new Hollywood releases prompt these suggestions. First, another remarkable film with child actors is the original Swedish "Let the Right One In". The Hollywood remake look like they pumped it up with special effects and such, I have heard its not bad. But I really loved the low budget original.
The second is that runaway train blockbuster that I dont remember the name of. The one I recommend is called appropriately, "Runaway Train". Staring Jon Voit (a cantidate for that weird actor thread) and Eric Roberts, with Rebecca DeMornay. Based on a screenplay by Akira Kurosawa, featuring great performances, by the leads, and the powerful and raw imagery make this real a one of a kind action film.

Someday, when I have time, maybe I will bore everyone going on and on about the Asian films I have fallen for lately.
check out the "girl with the dragon tattoo" trilogy--swedish thrillers w/ a sorta dark, punk-rock "chinatown" sensibility. a nice surprise for people like myself who thought all swedish films were made by ingmar bergman
A film that I didn't think of when I submitted my earlier post in this thread: "The Gods Must Be Crazy."

http://www.godsmustbecrazy.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gods_Must_Be_Crazy

(Just the original, not the sequels).

I can't imagine anyone not having a smile on their face after seeing this film.

Regards,
-- Al
Hmmm, do I have to narrow it down to 2?
1- Jean Renoir's 'La Grande Illusion'
2- Catholic High School Girls in Trouble