Best and Worst Rock Concert Moments

I will start this off. 1975 Jethro Tull concert at the Seattle Center Coliseum. About midway through the show an M-80 goes off in the crowd in the middle of a song and Ian Anderson holds his hand up in the air and counts to three with his fingers and the band stops playing in mid measure all at once as though some one had flipped a switch. The whole place goes dead quiet for about 15 seconds or so. Anderson says something like "Well, that was bloody ******* RUDE! If you want us to keep playing then you better cut that crap right out and have a little more respect for your NEIGHbor. Do you really want us to play some more?". The crowd slowly starts to applaud and then it builds to a crescendo. As the applause starts to die down, Anderson holds his hand up in the air, counts out loud to three and the band cuts back in full force absolutely mid-measure where they left off.

When the song ended I have never heard such intense applause in any arena or hall for any song at any show. I was completely dumb struck by how Anderson handled the situation and by the musicianship of the whole outfit. Maybe it was a staged event, but I doubt it. Either way, it was really something else...
Ag insider logo xs@2xknownothing
Was not there but had to be The Who in Cincinnati with fans getting crushed to death rushing the doors for a lousy sound check........carnival seating was no more. Second might be Great White concert with 100 killed.
Chad,

I was and am a Cinti. concert goer'. Lucky not to have been at the Who show that night, couldn’t get tickets. Saw it on the local news and couldn't believe it. Changed shows in Cinti. forever.

A couple of the best and worst - Allman Brothers played Cinti. Gardens (after the Who tragedy but before festival seating was banned). We were at the head of the line and they let the crowd in front of the building but still had the ticket gates closed and screened off. The crowd started to surge toward the ticket gates crushing the people in front (me and my girlfriend). Her brother was behind her and was able to get his arms extended against the gate and literally held the weight of the crowd crush off her. Eerily reminiscent of the Who Coliseum tragedy.

We survived and the Allman’s played everything they knew for over 3 hours. We were so emotionally whipped, our group all left before it finished. Somebody said later they went on for over 4 hours.

A couple of weeks later the Dead came to the Gardens. A different kind of crowd, not as rowdy, with everyone sitting around outside playing cards or yakking. The local cops were not going to let what happened at the Who or Allman shows happen again, and started making every one get up and get in a line outside. Confrontation ensued and a couple of folks got hauled off to jail. Bummer.

This was the Deads' first tour in the Cinti. area with the "Wall of Sound" and the first time I’d seen it. They were over an hour late getting setup. The band was upset and apologized all night long (although I was fascinated watching them set it up). But, despite the gloomy mood, somewhere in the one of the sets, was the most haunting rendition of Sugeree I have ever heard. I still remember it to this day.

Jim S.
I'm not sure if it was the best or the worst, but I was one of the 32000 people who bought a $12, three-day-event ticket to Stompin' 76 in the rural hills of southern Virginia.

The only problem was that 150k to 200k people actually attended! The young Bonnie Raitt headlined along with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Earl Scruggs Revue Vassar Clements, John Prine, Lester Flatt & Nashville Grass, David Bromberg, Ry Cooder, and bunch more.

We were parked (camped) a mile-and-a-half from the concert area which was considered very close, since people were walking as far as 11 miles one-way of jammed-packed roads which actually backed-up all the way back to and on the Interstate. It was so packed, we couldn't leave if we wanted to. When all of these people showed up, the promoter's security company said "we're out of here" and walked out. After that, the Pagan Motorcycle "Club" provided security. Miraculously, no one died, great live music from morning to late night, and yes we had a wonderful time. Also, someone who will be 32 years-old this August 7th was born at that event. I remember the announcement over the PA. You know, they just don't seem to do events like that anymore!

. . . and yes there is a website commemorating that very event.
Jim S.- Same scenario w GD in Springfield w my GF. She is small and claustrophobic. It was miracle we didn't get pushed through the glass or trampled. She was picked up off her feet and "popped" through the open door into the lobby backwards!

Probably "best moment" was opening chords of Rolling Stones Boston Garden show in 72. Not the best music or the best show, although it was great. But the excitement and anticipation made your hair stand up on the back of your neck!
SW,

Glad she was alright (she was, right?). The first and only time it ever happened to me was the Allman show. You feel pretty helpless. I can't imagine how the kids at the Who show felt.

I have been to a half dozen or so indoor festival seating Dead shows and everything with the crowd was always pretty cool. The nuts with the bottle rockets, roman candles, and firecrackers were a little scary, but... I am surprised it got that rowdy.

Jim S.