Extremely well recorded jazz double bass? cymbals?

I'm trying to decide on some speakers and have concerns about their ability to resolve on stand up bass.

Can you recommend a CD with acoustic, stand up bass on which you can hear the "wood," the "whiz" of the strings vibrating in the air...or just, something with fine detail?

Several of my CDs have great, prominent bass (Ray Brown, Patricia Barber, Diana Krall) but it's not that well recorded.

Would also appreciate something well recorded at the other end: extremely detailed cymbal and drums.

Thanks,
Jim
river251
My all time favorite that meets your question is the high quality CD from the Japenesse JVC pressings; Oscar Peterson, 'We take Requests'...its one of my favorite; the first track has a double base being played by the bow; you can easly hear the growlof the strings; and the deep resonate bass notes; then the piano; and drums kick in; and cymbals...then plucked double base...I use this to test out gear, and enjoy the music of one of the greats...hard to find in this version; check out West Wind Audio here on the west coast; or Amazon...and let me know if it floats your boat.
For bass, also check out Harvie S with Kenny Barron, "Now Was The Time" and Michel Petrucciani & Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen "Petrucciani/NHOP." Second the Keith Jarrett trio releases on ECM. Careful though...I find that "extremely well recorded" discs tend to sound great no matter what the speakers/system. What the speakers/system does with "average" recordings can be very telling too.
There is actually a recording called "Wood". I am blocking on the name of the bass player at the moment, though. I would (no pun intended) check that out. You could also try some of Dave Holland's recordings...i.e., his solo discs or those with very limited acoustic instrumentation.
May I suggest a different methodology: Use recordings that you already have and are VERY familiar with; deficiencies and all. Then listen for which speakers let you hear more of what you have been missing. Good luck.
Consider "Bass on Top" by Paul Chambers as it has both wonderful con arco and plucked bass.
"Parker`s Mood" by Roy Hargrove and "Finger Painting" by Nicholas Payton both feature very fine bass by Christian Mc Bride.