It was 44 years ago that...

Parlaphone released the Beatles 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'.
What other albums can be considered having as much impact, actually altering the direction of a music genre?
montejay
Bob Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited". The first fully electric album. Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run". A break out record for the boss, that changed what rock and roll is, could be and is compared to for ever.
Bongo knows my take on the place of rap, hip-hop, or whatever they are currently calling lyric poetry set to someone else's music, but I whole-heartedly agree with Innervisions and What's Going On. Both are genre defining. Innervisions is just mind-blowing from an originality and artistic standpoint. It's one of those "Where The F___ did that come from" moments. The only thing that comes close to those, and it's for me, prob not for everyone, was Nirvana. I remember the first time I heard "Smell's Like Teen Spirit" in the car. I was driving down Shepard Dr in Houston, and I was about at W Alabama midway through the song. I pulled into Cactus Records and bought the CD. Cactus is still around, thank God, even though I'm moving to Oklahoma. Going to miss Houston.
Owned a lot of 45's when I was a kid (I'm 57), and of course handled and heard my parents LP's but MY 1st 3 LP purchases were The Supremes Greatest Hits, Vanilla Fudge, & Sgt. Pepper's. It's hard to explain growing up with the Beatles to people that didn't. And I understand there are some folks here that aren't fans but the Beatles music was a world-wide phenomena for a reason.

Perhaps you've heard (I know I Have)the expression when speaking of a different artists particular recording; "...this was their Sgt. Pepper's...". I think that pretty much says it all!