Bach: Six Suites Unaccompanied For Cello

Hi I was wondering of the 3 Cello soloist, which would you recommened getting, and maybe some explanation on how these recording differ.

1- Janos Starker on Mercury
2- Daniil Shafran on Eterna/ Melw Russian copies
3- Pierre Fournier on Archive, which one to get?

all very expensive
thanks
macallan25
Bach: Six Suites Unaccompanied For Cello I have two out of three with not hearing the Daniil Shafran. I also have the Ma on cd. So for me to pick the one I enjoy the most interpertation wise is hard. The sound of the Bach Mercury recording on SACD is excellent and up front. The Fourneir can't say from memory but sure it is a fine recording on the Archive label.I also have the speaker corner lp but its sealed and have not lstened to it at all...I would guess anyone you chose should satisfy.
I like the Starker recording. Not on your list, but I also like the Rostropovich recording (from EMI). Rostropovich's performance strikes me as a touch less precise than Starker's. This can be a good or a bad thing, depending on your preferences.

You should also listen to the Martin Zeller recording (from MA Recordings). The performance and SQ are extraordinary. Unfortunately, it is only a small selections from the Suites. But Zeller's performance is fascinating, as it sounds the most baroque of the three (at least to my untrained ear). Have fun.

Bryon
Pablo Casals recording from the 1930's is the benchmark for this piece.Try to find the lp,in its various stages of release or an early cd issue.The current EMI cd has some undesirable sonic manipulations.The Shafran recording,which i have on the multiple cd set has a nice woodsy sound.I would love to hear that recording on vinyl.Some of those Russian Melodiyan lp's have an extraordinary sound and presence.I must say this is rather like asking who were the greatest climbers to scale Mt. Everest? The fact is,that it has been done,does not diminish the challenge to make the climb.
I have ended up with 4 or 5 versions of this great work and they are all magic in their own way.
All three in the list are indispensible classics for the Cello Suites in stereo. You can't do without any of them. I'd buy all.
I have the Starker LP and the Rostropovich EMI CD, I prefer Rostropovich's more "emotional" presentation. That being said I listen to both and pick between them depending on my mood.