Song covers that are better than the originals

I was listening to Billy Idol's cover of LA Woman, and I thought to myself that his version is way better than the original. So I thought I'd post a few covers that I enjoy more than the originals and see what others can add. My top five in no particular order:

LA Woman - Billy Idol
Just a Gigolo - David Lee Roth
Feelin Alright - Joe Cocker
Roll Over Beethoven - The Beatles
MacArthur Park - Donna Summer
slanski62
One more for the list:

The Ballad of Lucy Jordan by Marianne Faithfull. I like that version much more than the overwrought version by Dr. Hook.
"Bird on a Wire" original by Leonard Cohen: Johnny Cash, Joe Cocker, Jennifer Warnes. One classic song, wide range of covers that are all great.
There are several outstanding covered songs on santana's new disc Guitar Classics: Can't You Hear Me Knocking, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Bang a Gong are a couple...

Also, Annie Lennox has a disc of covers, Medusa, with some good ones: Take Me To The River, Whiter Shade of Pale

And, I stumbled upon a disc of dance club remixes, What Is Hip, The Remix Project that, if ya like techno treatments of old classics is awesome: Dream Weaver, Ventura Hiway, Summer Breeze

I would not say all the above are bettr than the original, but they are well recorded, and listenable...
Great thread, even if a repeat.

Two criteria for an inspired cover:

1. Inspired choice: Something not obvious, either regards the cut or the match of band and music. Makes you say -- "wow, I hadn't thought of that cut in a while," or "crazy, *they're* doing *that*?"

2. Proximity of performance: neither too close nor too far. Should invoke the spirit of the original, but not parrot it.

Crooked Still, doing the Stone's "You Got the Silver"

Cowboy Junkies doing R. Johnson's "Driving Wheel"

John