How do you guys choose between CD releases?

This has been been bugging me for some time now and I'm wondering if any of you guys have a sensible way of choosing which release of a CD to buy. I buy the vast majority of my CDs on Amazon and too frequently have to choose between two releases of a CD e.g., 1990 or 2003. If there is a remaster I usually go with it, unless I'm warned off. That doesn't bother me, it's choosing between to releases with no more to go on than the year of release. You can't judge by sampling; you don't even know which release you're listening to, and Amazon reviews are seldom release specific. Should I just buy the newest, the cheapest or (gulp) most expensive? Any secrets? How do you guys decide?
phaelon
Yes, I think it's worth considering. The newer release of an older album is frequently remastered, even when it's not mentioned. Certainly it's a bit unusual for newer release to be inferior. It seems to me that the standard has gradually improved over time. The imports are usually better than the domestic ones, but there's obviously no guarantee.

It's another matter when you already have an old release - I usually won't upgrade to a newer release unless I have a solid reason to expect a significant improvement.
Even the Beatles recent releases were crushed compressed and only the mono versions were any good...

This statement just goes to show how subjective audio is and how people perceive sound differently.I happen to think the new Beatles stereo discs sound very good.You shouldn't make purchases on someone's recommendation without hearing the product for yourself.Of course this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
I think all of what has been said already is true in some cases. Old releases are sometimes better than new ones. Sonically more and more new music is tweaked for the ipod listener. On the other hand some new releases such as the Beatles remasters are iMO much improved over the old. Other things to take into consideration are whether a new release contains multiple formats such as a reissue of DSOTM of a few years ago which was stereo and 5.1 or a new release that is encoded with say HDCD, a format which requires your player to be able to decode it but is a great sound. Besides sound, another thing to look for is whether the new release contains extra tracks or even video. Asian versions make sure not a knock off.
lots of good advice already.

subjective limitations on the soundquality of cd's in general aside...i'll add most reissues are mostly jsut attempt by label's to sell the same old material all over again with a shiny new look. if you're a big fan of the band's reissue in question, some of the time bonus demo tracks etc are added, very nice for hardcore fans.

remasters/remixes are often slight/noticably different from original, sometimes, done without the input from the original artists.
There are differences in mastering and 'pressing.' Hard to tell what is best until a review of each is done for sound quality. Soon, there will be blu-ray versions of some cd's and those will, in most cases, sound much better then any of the cd releases.