Sun Kil Moon "Admiral Fell Promises"

Another high recommendation for the forum. This is the new release from Mark Kozelek aka Sun Kil Moon, and quite a beauty. All acoustic (nylon), haunting, hypnotic, and unique... You could hear splashes back in the Red House Painter days but on "Ghosts of the Great Highways" he really came into his own. "April", the last record, was where the real magic happened, already a classic and one of my go to records at all hours. With this new piece you can hear a quiet confidence. There is more guitar work/range but it is overall much mellower. There is a subtle Latin flair to it also...True musical beauty. High quality sonics for us geeks too.

Highly recommended folks!
richard_stacy
Marty my favorite by far is April, under the Sun Kil Moon name. If you can find the one with the bonus tracks it's worth it. Not that big on his early RHP stuff. Admiral Fell Promises is beautiful and well worth owning too.

I have heard he can come off as a dick. I have a soundboard recording from a show in Portland and he proceeds to tell the audience that their city is basically boring...in the first song. Of course he went on to play a gorgeous set.
Enjoy Marty! You actually inspired me and I played April this morning. Had not heard it for a bit and it still has the magic for me. I never tire of that album.
for his more electric/eclectic stuff, i'd also check out rhp's "old ramon" and the first sun kil moon "ghosts". (i feel conflicted touting 'em after being so traumatized by his live show, but they're great stuff). let us know what you think after you listen.
Thanks Loomis,

I'll add those RHPs into the Amazon cart and check out if the 2 Sun Kil cds work out for me. I've had pretty good luck to date chasing down the stuff that both you and Richard enjoy, so I expect the chances are pretty good that I'll have a couple of RHPs in hand soon.

Marty