Share thoughts on Keith Jarrett

Last night, I saw Keith Jarrett performing solo at the Symphony Center. Tremendously emotional concert with four encores. Now, this is why I'm posting: The person who I was supposed to attend the concert with, informed me, on Tuesday night, that she couldn't go. "No problem", I thought: "Who wouldn't jump at the chance to see Keith Jarrett live", a performer who I consider to be right up there with the likes of Davis, Monk, and Coltrane, all jazz elite and all household names. It took me two full days to find someone who even heard of this guy. I'll continue to hold him in place of high esteem regardless of the comments I get here, but I'm curious: Am I incorrect to place him so highly, or are their others who find his relative anonymity amazing?
phaelon
I personally think he is a wonderul musician. He's not popular (or known) the way pop or rock musicians are, but he is probably the most popular jazz musician today - if one measures popularity in terms of how big a venue a performer can fill.
Keith Jarrett is in my opinion one of the best jazz musicians of his generation. I've enjoyed his music from Koln Concert to present and he never ceases to amaze me with his artistry. I would love to see him in concert and plan to if he ever comes to Portland. I listen to jazz more than any other genre and of the many superb musicians most of my listening is spent with Miles Davis, Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett. He's a truly great artist IMHO.
To me, Jarrett is a true original. No one plays piano like he does, tries the things he does, and bold about it... now weather you LIKE what he does is another matter. A few recordings stand out for me, "Arbour Zena", "Luminessence" and "Nude Ants"... from the late 70's. In the same category as Miles? hmmm... there were times, for me, when Miles wasn't in the same category of Miles.. :)
Well, he's very prolific, and there are different phases of Jarrett's work, just as there were with Miles (and no, I don't put him on the same level with Miles). I do like his recordings on Impulse in the 70s with Dewey Redman and Charlie Haden, and more recently, his long running trio with Gary Peacock and Jack Dejohnette. Some very good stuff there.

Of course, there are lots and lots of solo recordings, and though I do enjoy listening to them from time to time, I also have a hard time focusing enough to tell them apart. But I'd recommend those trio recordings, as well as the Impulse records, to anybody who is interested in jazz.