heard Melody Gardot?

Holy smoke. One of the DJs at Portland's Jazz station KMHD ranks her album "My One And Only Thrill" as one of the best for 2009. Just listened to some cuts on Amazon, and I'm blown away.
stewie
You guys will be in for a real treat. I saw her in Montreal last July as part of the Montreal International Jazz Festival. A memorable performance. The show was sold out in 20 minutes. She played many songs from the Absence album.
I would see her again.
Have a good one....
Ok. I saw Melody last night. It was the third time I had the pleasure of hearing her perform live. However, of the three shows, this was my least favorite. First, she is a beautiful woman and she was covered up all night from head to toe. Something covering her hair and a long gown. She looked like she was wearing a burkah. She has more to show and I wanted to see it. Second, the audio sucked. I could barely hear her voice. Third, I expected more jazz standards. Instead, she did more of a "world music" vibe, which is fine but not what I wanted from her. She ended with "Summertime" and then brought up an old singer-songrwriter friend which were some of the highlights of the show.

Donjr: I looked for you two, but didn't see you. I was three martinis in so I kinda forgot the row you said. Ha!
We really enjoyed the show. I was impressed with that sax player, especially when he played two at the same time. I agree that I would have liked to see a bit less upholstery draping off her body. It's as though she rolled herself up in a huge black curtain and toseed on a pair of shades. I also agree that they could have turned her mic up. Luckily the crowd was fairly quiet, but I did struggle at times to hear her. I liked her solo of 'Baby I'm a Fool'.

I have one major complaint and it had nothing to do with Melody or the band, but the people around me. It must have been "bath yourself in perfume and cologne" night. It seemed every single person around me decided it's a good idea to douse themselves in huge amounts of perfume and cologne for this show. I'm not usually sensitive to this sort of thing but this was beyond unbearable and if it wasn't Melody Gardot I would have probably left the event in favor of more cocktails. I've been to a lot of events and I've never experienced anything quite like it. I hope word of this doesn't get up to Montreal which is my favorite musical event each year.

We looked up that friend of hers (Phil Roy) that performed the last song 'Melt' with her. He's had an interseting career as a musician and songwriter.