Do you ever wonder?

Do you ever wonder why some artists (individuals or groups) attain success through critical acclaim and/or record (cd) sales?

Here is my list of those who have made it in the recording/entertainment industries and is completely puzzling to me.

Please list your own; it's irrelevant what you think of mine.

OK, here you go (in no particular order):

Sheryl Crow
Norah Jones
Michael Bolton
Celine Dion
Joe Cocker
Manhattan Transfer
Boston
Rickie Lee Jones
Pink
Phil Collins

That's enough to get started; show me what you got.
audiofeil
"Does it actually puzzle you that the music buying public is composed of morons?"

"mainstream tastes almost always favor the ignorant masses who just want something mildly pleasing that won't make them think too hard"

The purpose of music is to make us think hard? Thinking is usually associated with the logical cognizant function of our brain. To me, music's beauty lies in its ability to bypass our analytical consciousness and just make us feel. I suppose that, in your eyes, what I'm about to say will only serve to solidify my position in the moron camp, but I've never been able to rationalize the emotional influence that music can have over me. It seems to me that someone who's into music for the purpose of mental stimulation, would be better served, and save a bundle, by just buying sheet music.
Phaelon: Are emotion and intellect really that separate? Wouldn't you say that profound emotion has enough depth to be analyzed almost endlessly? Take Bach, Coltrane, or Schoenberg for example...there is enough there to think about AND feel until the end of time! You really can't separate them if the art is that pure..
Not everyone on your list appeals to me either, especially Michael Bolton. However, in my opinion, all of the people and band on your list are talented and do appeal to others. Maybe you don't agree that they have talent?
One more time.

It doesn't matter what anybody thinks of my list or any other list.

Criticism (or validation) is unlikely to change many opinions here. For example, IMO Norah Jones really does suck despite some of the cheerleading for her I've read in this thread.

Please give us your selections and ignore the others.
I could list dozens but I'll stick with just one.I never could figure out why Elvis Costello is so well regarded in the music world.He has a few catchy tunes but I see nothing special about him,certainly not the musical genius that lots of people claim him to be.Of course this is just my opinion.