Re: Story about Ringo

I know that Ringo Starr has been the subject of some debate on this forum. In today's USA Today (don't ask), Dennis Diken, the drummer for Smithereens, did a piece on Ringo's influence. It's a good read. It's probably on their web site, but I don't have a link.

Marty
martykl

Ha!--Well a blast from my past I roomed with Ringo at Butlins Holiday Camp Phewelli North Wales 60'swhen he was the drummer with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes. We had many a "bender" and great times then -used to travel back to Liverpool got to meet his Folks at their Scotland Road Semi.
Great guy --friendly funny, one for the practical jokes. Bloody good drummer as well. Can tell many a story!

But my lips are sealed!

Des
george martin didn't 'sign' the beatles...he was assigned to the beatles....ringo was already a member before the beatles met martin.
Ringo had a great musical sensibility for The Beatles' songs. His contribution to their overall sound was critical. I couldn't imagine many of their songs being as good without him behind the drums.

One thing that made his playing unique is that he is left handed but his drum kit was set up for a right handed player. This allowed (or forced) him to play many fills and patterns in a non-standard fashion.

Barry
"george martin didn't 'sign' the beatles...he was assigned to the beatles....ringo was already a member before the beatles met martin"

Jaybo...you better have a discussion with Geoerge Martin about this. I have no personal knowledge as to what happened. I'm simply repeating what George Martin himself said in a radio interview.
martin was an in-house producer at emi and was given the beatles to produce. brian epstein, their manager did the deal with emi. it as also common not to have band members actually play on records then....substituting session players. Any book on the Beatles will show these timelines....martin is so old, he probably thinks he 'named' them as well.