Pet Sounds: Most Overrated Album of All Time?

Try as I might -- and I have tried very hard -- I just don't get the "genius" of this album. I know that George Martin said that Sgt Pepper would have never happened without Pet Sounds, but I don't think the two are even in the same league. What am I missing?
jeffreybowman2k
A lot of the popular stuff from that era that many pick on is actually quite good nowadays on original vinyl or re-mastered to CD on a good system.

Its not high-brow stuff but listen to a lot of it today on a good system that is leaps and bounds better than what most people had back then, or what they heard on AM radio, and you may not laugh anymore!

A lot of the Herb Alpert stuff on original vinyl sounds absolutely fabulous when I listen to it today!

Wilson certainly helped take it to a higher level in a very noticeable way with the Beach Boys and particularly with PS, as did the Beatles certainly, but they were not alone by a longshot. They were perhaps two of the highest profile groups that effectively registered with the rock critics of the day to do it though.

In hindsight, those rock critics got a lot of things wrong back in the day just as they often do today as well.

Just look at some of the music from that era that lives on today and continues to be highly regarded. A lot of it was panned by the same elitist group of rock critics back then as not being "serious" art/music.

The true measure of any classic is longevity.
Rich, I would agree. At least Archie and Buster are in a home of both music knowledge and appreciation.

Audiohifila, My intent was not to rub anyones nose in it or to try to make someone love the music, which of course is impossible. It was though, to help create a context, some prospective, that's it. Sometimes, just sometimes enjoyment comes long after understanding... A number of previous comments were made with little or no prospective evident. I would agree, beauty is in the eyes or ears of the beholder and I suggest that an informed beholder may see greater beauty in this world.

Happy (oblivious) Listening!
I appreciate the passion of your responses. Let me try to clarify the point:

1. Of course sales alone do not demonstrate the value of a record. The point is that Pet Sounds sold far less even than other Beach Boys records. Ie, it did not even appeal to the band's own core audience.

That's right, even Beach Boys fans did not, by and large, like the record.

I love old Beach Boys records. The songs on Pet Sounds lacks the spark of those records.

It's not only a question of sophistication. Rather, it's a work of great sophistication with songs that did not measure up to the band's own prior work. I would suggest that the Beach Boys did not leave their fans behind because the music was suddenly too sophisticated for them, but rather because it just wasn't that good.

2. I'm 51. It's possible to be an adult, and have educated taste and still not think Pet Sounds is a good record. It's an important record, but not a good one. For the record: I love early Elvis, I love early Dylan, I love early Johnny Cash ...
I think Dylan stands the test of time very well

I think classical and opera can stand the test of time too (albeit I am not a huge fan like some though)

I agree that knowledge can help in appreciation but if it's really that good and you got an open mind which I do the quality should be obvious and on per sounds some tracks are great but only a few!
Even though I grew up in the Beach Boys era, I was only a casual fan of their music and never recognized the staggering genius of Pet Sounds. That is, until I saw the Pet Sounds Live In London DVD. Seeing this music performed live by Brian Wilson and an ace backing band showcases what a drop-dead- gorgeous album Pet Sounds is. Also, the DVD has better sound quality than the CD versions of Pet Sounds that I have heard.