Herbie Hancock, River: The Joni Letters

Having read favorable comments on this disc in the likes of Hi Fi+, I purchased this cd over the weekend. What a huge disappointment! This recording is compressed to a significant degree and even worse is a spitty/crackly sound to the vocals and some of the spot miked instruments. It sounds like a poor cable connection or bad pot in the mixing/monitor console. I have not tried to play it on my truck cd/stereo to find if it is any more listenable.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else is similarily disappointed with the sonics of this disc. BTW, it sounds really bad on both of my home systems.
rhljazz
The sonics are lousy, the singing compared to Joni's original is uninspired and artificial and HH has gone completely commercial. That, for what it is worth, is my view on this. To me it was a huge disappointment in every respect, sonically as well as artistically.
Many years ago I worked with Herbie on a track for one of my clients. The man is meticulous. Besides that he works in his choice of facilities with his choice of engineers and musicians. But mostly he is meticulous.

So after reading your post, when I put on River (hard drive transport ripped from a CD) I was inclined to believe that anything I heard was because he wanted me to. And that's what I concluded though I think "I hear what you're talking about".

To my ear the album does not sound heavily compressed. What I did hear is a lot of high frequency cymbal and brush work mixed right up against the vocals.

I also noticed that on Edith and The Kingpin he doubled Tina Turner with a horn - since Wayne Shorter is on it I would say sax but since its Herbie it could be some kind of synth that he blew into. The way it was mixed in a couple of spots it certainly creates the impression that there is some distortion but I really think its two separate tracks (doesn't make it lovely though) Other then that its a stunning cover of the song and one a lot of people point to as their favorite.

At about 2:54 on Both Sides Now you get another one of those strange combinations of piano and cymbal ride - I can see why one might think that it sounds distorted. On Tea Leaf at 1:45 you get another one of those odd sounds - sounds like some sort of breath driven synth.

To answer Onhwy61 - its Herbie. Some really liquid piano, interesting arrangements, not too far out - some people feel like he reined it in too much. Then again Avante Garde jazz rarely wins Grammies. Though I think people who call it soft jazz are not accurate either.

It's pensive and melancholy... true to Joni but also to Herbie. As you might expect there is some great horn work. The other players are all stars but don't have big solos.

I loved A Case Of You (but then I am a sucker for that song). Also dug All I Want with Sonya Kitchell which is the farthest from home a singer went. (This cut is only on the Amazon special edition)

The various guest artists add interesting interpretations. Besdies Tina on Edith, Corinne Bailey Rae does a very nice job on River.

If you love Herbie it deserves a listen. If you love Herbie and Joni it definitely deserves a listen. If you just love Joni I'm not sure it will work for you - download a song or two or listen to the samples on Amazon first.

BTW I think you can get a good sense of the album from reading the reviews on Amazon - a lot of thoughtful fans showed up to post on this one.

There is also a very interesting 'making of' article at http://jonimitchell.com/herbie.cfm

I am glad Rhljazz got me to haul it out and listen to it.
I expected something more, not exactly sure what the "more" was. But I seem to enjoy it more each time I listen to it, and I'm listening to it more often. It grows on me. That's it, no more.
Small world sometimes. I just picked this up a few weeks ago. I liked Herbies Jazz Moods/Round Midnight so I thought I'd buy the "2008 Album of the year". Definitely not recorded as well as JMRM. The piano sounds strident.

When Jone heard it she probably cried a river. :-)