Did you see Springsteens latest show???

I have seen the future of Rock and Roll and it's name is Bruce Springsteen, again. Now more than ever. Long live Rock.
dreadhead
Gawdbless - Are you saying Europeans are remaining naive? Sarkozy taking 55% of the vote? Chancellor Merkel remaining "highly popular" with the German people? Both Sorkozy and Merkel saying they want to re-establish strong ties to the USA? The BBC reporting "Islam is the biggest threat the secular France in 100 years"? Months of rioting in France with thousands of arrests and tens of thousands of cars burned (along with Catholic churches)? France talking tough AGAINST Iran? By the way, check out Brussells.com and Littlegreenfootballs.com - loads of fun and all the news Daddy Gore doesn't want you to know. Just bring your filtering system with you for brussels.com.

By the way, my wife and I had some interesting conversations with shop owners and regular citizens this summer in Rome, Cannes, and Dubrovnik.

Guess this really should be sent in an e-mail...
Tom,

I agree with a lot of your views, but the European sentiment toward the US seems mixed, at best. In European opinion polls, the US is still consistently named as the biggest threat to world peace. Last I saw - April or May of this year -that included France and Germany by significant margins over the runner-up, Iran or Israel, depending on the country in question. They may have elected conservative leaders, but many Euro-voters seem to believe (rationally or otherwise) that the US caused their problems.

Chad - your juvenile rsponses add nothing to this debate.

Nrchy - Your position that everyone is a passive "price taker" of oil is an overstatement. The study of policies to manipulate supply/demand is called Macro-Economics. HOV lanes, subsidies for alternative fuels and public transportation, and CAFE mileage regulations are just a few examples of policies that damp demand for oil. Any administration has far more extreme policy options available - however, they might well cause more harm than good, in many ways.

Further undermining your own argument, you compare price spikes during the Carter aadmin to the Dubya admin. Incredibly enough, I'm about to defend Carter ( the worst US president in my lifetime till Bush2). Both price spikes were the result of "supply shocks".:

In Carter's case it was the overthrow of the Shah.
Dubya INVADED IRAQ!

It would be a stretch to claim that these presidents were equally passive victims of supply/demand forces beyond their respective control.

Your position on the history of nuclear energy in the US is similarly marked by overstatement and/or misinformation.

"Every US plant" is outdated?
Are you suggesting that the US generating portfolio should be 100% nuclear?

"Tree huggers have prevented viable and safe energy since the '70's"?
Putting aside questions of safety and reliability, PURPA - the 1978 law which effected the restructuring of the US power industry - has proven a far greater impediment to nuclear development than tree huggers over your time frame.

My point is:

Defending a fundamentally conservative approach to government does not require defending Geprge Bush. He is manifestly incompetent. Nor does this point of view need overstatent and ad hominem venom.

Marty
Martykl - Euorpeans have disliked us for over 200 years. Most recently, they stood against us in the 70s, 80, 90s, and today. And yet, we freed them from mass murdering Nazism and Communism (the most deadly polical and social movement in the history of the world. Che alone killed probably 12,000 people and continually advocated the execution of anyone who disagreed with him). And, hopefully, now it seems there may be some movement toward rational self-interest in good 'ole Europe.

I've seen those surveys. Pretty sad naviete when Muslims have executed or are planning war-like mass murder in at least 10 Euorpean countires and another 30 or more elsewhere in the world. The US and Israel at fault? In Thailand, Switzerland, the Phillipines, Indonesia, Algeria, Morocco, Egypt, Spain, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, Canada, Sudan, Russia, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Germany, Denmark, Nigeria, Somalia, Kenya, India, etc., etc.? How do we connect the bad old USA to these continuing events?

Anyway, I think we should let the Bruce fans get back to it.
Tom,

Agreed. I was merely observing - not defending.

Chad,

Sorry if I missed your humor, but perhaps defending my libertarian mix of political opinion here in LA has hyper-sensitized me to being lumped in with that portion of the right wing whose debate could be more thoughtful.

Marty