Most Influential American Musician of All Time?

Who do you regard as the most influential (i.e., musically, not necessarily commercially) American musician of all time across all genres?

The more I learn about Louis Armstrong, the more I am persuaded that he deserves that honor.
jeffreybowman2k
I would agree with Pawlowski that, aside from maybe Danny Elfman, nobody was influenced by Zappa (which does NOT diminish his greatness).

Far more people have been influenced by John Fogerty, who ranks high on my list.

I would nominate 1) Dylan, 2) Ellington, 3) Copland

Cheers
Dunno about all time...but how many rock guitarists (conciously or not) haven't absorbed Jimi Hendrix.

Thelonious Monk may not be a household commodity but he added alot of vocabulary and his influence on some of todays great players runs deep.
Bill.....point taken about Elvis. I still think that even though he wasn't a great songwriter or actor, that he was very influential to modern day rock 'n' roll. Of course, as my wife always tells me, I'm probably wrong . :-)

One more name to throw into the mix, yes, I've long been a fan of Robert Johnson as the father of the US blues, however, I do believe tha Muddy Waters definitely has a well deserved place on this list. I feel that as many will say that Muddy inspired them as they will say of RJ. It may be a generational thing, but after listening to Muddy Waters on this rainy afternoon, I do feel that he deserves recognition.

Cheers,
John
Post removed