A Reference Recording....

For those of you who love the sound of the female voice(s) and/or have a passions for bluegrass/folk/Celtic styles...run, do not walk, to either Amazon or to mistyriverband.com and order Misty River's 'Rising'. Great music, awesome sound quality...what more can one ask? This is what this mad hobby always should be about - and so seldom is.

Misty River has produced 3 other albums. All musically outstanding but none have quite the 'band-is-in-the-room' quality (and I mean that quite literally - the illusion is very close to pefect). They are all still sonically way above average, however, and definitely worth owning.
curriemt11
Me Toooooo!
I love Northwest artists, got to support the home region, my wife loves good christmas music so I got Rising and the Christmas album. Vito gonna break-a-youse legs iften dees records no good :)
Along the same lines Anonamous Fours' Welcome Yule is a winner if you like celtic christmas music. First I ever heard of CD Baby, nice site.
As a female vocal, bluegrass, and folk head myself, my quest for reference sounding recordings becomes even more difficult as I prefer live stuff to studio cuts. My small smathering of suggestions are the following:
A 5 year old band from No.NJ named Railroad Earth just put out a killer live disc called Elko, great sound quality for a live disc. Any of the 3 Garcia/Grisman discs(Pizza Tapes, Been All Around this World, and Garcia Grisman Rice) from Acoustic Disc are of exceptional quality, the put you right in the living room with these guys, and most of the Natalie Merchant stuff is usually great also.
Timrhu,
I also just ordered "Rising" and "Live at the Backstage Gate" from cdbaby.com. How come you only paid $27? I paid $30 plus $4 shipping. I also used Paypal. Anyway, thanks to Audiogon member "Curriemt11" for the recommendation.
Royy
Jackaroe,

Thanks for the suggestion of 'Railroad Earth'. Will have to check that one out. I fully agree with you on the Acoustic Disc CDs - wonderful stuff. Nearly all of the label's recordings are excellent, I'm not sure how some of the 'Dawg' music would appeal to the uninitiated, though :)
Royy,

If you like those two, 'Willow' is also excellent, but slightly different in terms of musical direction from the other two. There's even a very interesting version of Simon and Garfunkel's 'Kathy's Song' on there. I believe that's available for listening on the website, in fact.