Talking Heads Remastered

Anyone out there splurg on the newly remastered Talking Heads Catalog "Brick"? Released on dualdisc with remastered stereo mixes on CD layer and extra tracks from the recording sessions and video and 5.1 mixes on the DVD layer. Every Talking Heads studio album is in the collection.

These albums were in desperate need of remastering as they came out in the late seventies and 80s. The original CD attempts sound pretty bad.

I've only been istening for a week and don't do 5.1, but the new mixes really add alot. They are tastfully done (Jerry Harrison had a lot to do with it) and sound great. I encourage any Talking heads fan to update their collection with this set.

Anyone else hear these things?

-Karl
128x128karl_desch
Yes it is clear. Sorry for the confusion.

I have enjoyed a lot of releases done by Bob Ludwig recently. The new Air album comes to mind. I think if you can avoid the trend of mastering with incredibly hot levels you can avoid the inherent loss of dynamics and still please the band.

On the new remasters I can find no mention of Mr Ludwig. The only reason they may be better is that they include the complete album. I think both the stereo and the DVD-A mixes were done by Jerry Harrison and another engineer who's name escapes me at the moment.

I also prefer the whole album approach as opposed to the compilation. Single albums are now available on the dreaded dual disk format which happily work just fine in my CD player.
Out of interest it'd be nice to know if anybody has compared the two different remasters-Ludwig's box set from 2003 and the new single albums (and Brick!) by Harrison.
I like the new Brick Harrison version better than the Ludwig box. Both were an improvement, but the low level eff ects seem to get better captured on the Harrison discs

haven't done a direct a/b just recall the jump up for the early box then more nuances second time around

that long box artwork - especially the naked men was horrid
the liner notes were stellar and a shame they couldn't do something similar for the brick

I would have like to seen the songs listed on the back of the brick discs. You have to pull out the small booklets to get a track reading - annoying

like the Remain in Light extras

Tom