Keeping it LOW

I'd be interested in hearing from enthusiasts of off the beaten path Double Bass, Bassoon, Tuba, etc. recordings. Any favorite recordings that we may not know about? No cello - that could be a whole thread by itself (probably is), and isn't quite LOOOOOWWW enough.

I'm at work, so no access to browse the stacks, but a few that come to mind are:

- Dragonetti Lives - Bertram Turetzky, totally awesome double bass (Takoma).

- Rodion Azarkhin - Incredible Virtuoso Performances on the Double Bass (Columbia)

- Sherman Walt - Vivaldi Bassoon Concertos (RCA Living Stereo)

- Sweet and Low - The London Serpent Trio (Titanic)

- Bassooniana - Arthur Grossman/Bruce Grainger (MHS)

I have mostly lp's so don't know which of these are available on CD. Anything you Audiogoner's think is essential?
opalchip
All of these are LPs in my collection that I'd recommends:

Gary Karr "Adagio d'Albinoni" on Super Analogue 9125 (double bass)

Bottesini, Conc No. 2 for Double Bass & Orchestra, Wedin/OskarshamnEns, Fredin -db, Opus 3 8502 (available new on CD only)

Bottesini, Grand Concerto in f for Double Bass, Litton/ECO, Martin -db, ASV DCA 563

"Music for Tuba" with Michael Lind, tuba Caprice CAP 1143 (includes Vaughan Williams' "Concerto for Tuba," Lundquist's "Landskap for tuba och straker", Jacobsen's "Konsert for tuba" and Nilsson's "Bass for solo-tuba and percussion")

Ray Brown and Laurindo Almeida, "Moonlight Sonata" Jeton 33004 (available new on LP)

"Music for Trombone and Bass Tuba" Torge -trmb, Lind -tuba, BIS LP95

Also agree with Kal's suggestion of "L'Apres Midi d'Un Dinosaur" - fun music! (originally issued on LP as Hyperion A66054)
Jah Wobble and Evan Parker project on 30Hzrecords.com...
Their project(don't remember the exact name goes bellow 30Hz).
For a vocal treat, try a recording of Rachmaninov's Vespers, particularly one with a Russian or Estonian chorus. The bass singers go really, really low -- sub-basement.
Fairfield Four... (This is the black gospel group that sang during the flood in the movie "O'Brother Without Thou"). The song is "These Bones". The bass sings so loowwww it will shake the rafters!
Here is something you may like. Accross the country people perform "Tuba Christmas". You might get a kick out of it.
Definately something you don't hear on prime time.
http://www.tubachristmas.com/
Go to their website for the location nearest you.
Regards,
-John