VPI 3D tonearm

Anyone using it yet?
128x128stringreen
Bifwynne

No problem at all. We have had some discussions in the past and you were always courteous and helpful to me. Like yourself, I am just interested in hearing peoples thoughts and opinions on the VPI 3D arm, which is the original topic of this thread.

I am using a stock classic 1 with the JMW 10.5 classic arm. I did speak to mike @vpi and they were contemplating making a few units for home trail purposes. You had to pay about half of the cost of the new arm up front and get a 2 week trail period for the 3D arm. If you decided it wasn't to your liking, you can ship it back and get a refund less $250.00.

So basically, a $250.00 rental fee for a 2 week in home trail. If you did decide to purchase, you pay the remaining balance and VPI would ship you a brand new production arm upon return of the rental unit.

I wish more audio companies would offer a type of trail period like this. I may try this myself if the offer is still open. I discussed this with VPI when the arm was first announced. It might be worthwhile to call VPI directly and ask them about this. I'm not certain if they will still do this or not. My conversation with them was a few months ago.
Some companies do offer in-home trial periods. Reno HiFi does with Pass Labs electronics. No rental fee, just shipping costs. Some dealerships offer home trials on speakers for a fee. My friend is doing this now for an expensive, massive speaker system. I think this is a direction some companies will go as local dealerships dwindle in number. It does offer a high degree of confidence in the purchase decision when one can audition a component in his own system over a period of time.

It's interesting that VPI would offer this instead of or, in addition to, their dealer network. I like the idea of touring demo units. I would like to try one of the ultrasonic LP cleaners and compare it to the machine I have. All sorts of possibilities.
..as for MY 3Darm.... it sits atop my turntable, however, I'm unable to set it up because I need a 200 gm counterweight. Mat promised it to me a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't received it yet. I have my Fozgometer, Mint protractor, etc. at hand. The table is absolutely level and ready to go......c'mon Mat....
I hear you and feel for you Stringreen. VPI generates all this goodwill in their attempt to help out and support previous and current product offerings, only to leave the customer discouraged because of poor follow through and/or execution.

If I had a nickel for every false delivery promise made by VPI, I could afford to try out the new 3D arm. If I was to give VPI a constructive suggestion, don’t promise what you can’t deliver.
Still almost no commentary on the quality offered by the VPI 3D. Sad! I'm really intrigued.