VPI Ceramic Platter

I just got VPI's new ceramic platter after living with the Superplatter, and then the Classic. I've read reports on these forums that there isn't much of a difference...WRONG. When replacing the Superplatter with the Classic, the sound difference is extremely dramatic with the Classic doing away with the stodginess of the Superplatter. The highs are much more extended without a kind of a wholly character. The sound difference just slaps you in the face. The difference with the ceramic platter is much more subtle....then you realize what it is and revel in it. The increased depth, focus and air is its major accomplishments, but there is a sweetness (not saccharine) of live music that you just don't hear with the classic. Crappy LP's are still crappy, but you can still make out the music rather than feeling like you just want to run away from it. The very worst and most disappointing record I have is Norah John's "Little Broken Hearts". I used to enjoy her efforts, but this one is produced sooooo badly by Danger Mouse, I will not get another Norah Johns album until I see this guy's name gone from the cover. I wonder why Norah sings words... The sound is an absolute blur, and yet with the ceramic platter, there are blurs of different depths, and if you listen closely you can actually hear what's going on. Next, I played a Ltd. Kiji by Leinsdorf on Serephin records from years ago. The speakers disappeared, as did the walls. The violins that are so difficult to reproduce, were clearly and sweetly singing. Percussion was never spread, but instantly and clearly struck. I suppose the best of these upgraded abilities will be lost unless excellent equipment is used. On another thought, you just can't change the spindle, install the platter and go. To find the best this platter can offer, you must tweak the tonearm. The platter is slightly different than with the Classic. Remember every single thing you adjust on the VPI arm affects every other adjustment. Take your time and do it all and enjoy.
128x128stringreen
Material science will tell you that a ceramic coating will not damp vibrations, no matter whether thick or thin. As Harry sits in his 'man cave', he is thinking of the next 'material' that will improve the bottom line of his business. Really, think about it, the difference each material makes is marginal, compared to the profits Harry makes. My guess is that the next turntable material will be an exotic wood, newly discovered in the rainforests of New Gunia, where Harry spent his last vacation. I admire Harry, pulling off another con, its what America is all about.
Regarding Buconero's above post, while I respect his opinion, Harry and his company have produced fine sounding TTs for a very long time. Most, although not all, are happy with their purchases as well as the upgrades. I am sure many things produced by VPI are profit enhances, very few people on this as well as other forums have ditched their VPIs for the compitition. Consider that there are interconnects that cost more than Harry's most expensive offering.
I can not tell you if the ceramic platter does or does not damp vibrations...all I know is what I hear. They guy next door hears an improvement, my wife does, and I do.....I don't care HOW it works, only that it does. The bad mouthing of VPI/Harry, does nothing to dissuade how most of the audiophile community feels about him. He is always helpful with any problems of his manufacture, and continues his thriving business using the highest ethical standards.
I'm a happy VPI customer!! Mike just sent me a Classic 3 tonearm bearing base to upgrade my Classic 1 base. Installation was a snap. Mike sent me all the tools, jigs, taps and alignment tools needed to show where and how to drill the new holes in the steel plinth. The Classic 3 base covers up the Classic 1 holes. The installation was so accurate I didn't have to change the cartridge overhang, which I think is pretty impressive.

The Classic 3 base is much heavier and better looking. It also has VTA on the fly. So I guess I now have a Classic 2.5 now. Funny thing is that the sound may have improved by a tweak or two, but not another league. But I don't care. The Classic 3 tonearm base looks better and it matches the Classic 3 wand that I bought a couple of years ago.

Bottom line: VPI aims to please and I am pleased!
So, Buco ... are you saying that Harry and VPI are not entitled to manufacture a good product, identify improvements over time, price their products in line with their competition, market those changes and make a reasonable profit? They've been around for a long time, and as such, I would expect them to change and improve the products they offer. I don't hear you moaning about VAC, or Krell, or Wilson, or the myriad of other long standing companies in this industry who continually "improve" their products and change their line-up from time to time.

Back on topic - I also have a ceramic platter, replacing an old MKIII platter and bearing. Big improvements along the lines of what String reports above. The pace of the music is just rock steady using my silk string drive. Images float very nicely with great extension top and bottom and plenty of detail. Dynamics are improved and albums just sound musical and not overly analytic. All in all, a very nice product.

When I saw these there were 2 versions, one had side wall grooves and one was smooth. I wanted the smooth one, per Harry's suggestion, but they shipped me the grooved one instead. I asked for a replacement and it came within a few days, but I installed and listened to the grooved one first. Nice, but not as nice as the smooth walled one when it came. Don't know if there was a different process for each, but I would advise getting the smooth walled one if they continue to offer both.