Less than top line reel-to-reel worth it?

My inner audio geek (expensive bastard, him) has been aroused by the recent resurgence of top of the line reel-to-reel deck re-fabrication units like United Home Audio's decks, and new (almost) master tapes becoming available from the likes of The Tape Project. Problem is I can not buy a $10k deck and $500 tapes, and simultaneously enjoy the benefits of matrimony. Consequently, I have been looking at much more affordable refabricated decks ($1000 - $2000 range) and used stereo 4-track 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips tapes.

I believe the expensive stuff can deliver with 2-tracks per 1/4 inch tape and 15 IPS, but should I expect 'better' sound than I can get from my Wadia CD Player, and J. A. Michelle turntable from the more affordable 4-track (two in each direction) slower speed stuff; or would this just be a trip down nostalgia lane?
Ag insider logo xs@2xduddley
Also...for cheapskates...early 4 head hifi vcrs with output meters can provide great fidelity ...not as cool as reels...but hey...
Phasecorrect,

I agree about HiFi vcr's. As long as they had user adjustable record levels they can make superlative recordings. They are not tape fussy either, all they care is that the tape is of sufficient quality to not have notable drop outs in oxide. Stick with name brand tapes and your laughing.

I bought a JVC HR-S5500U which is a late 80's S-VHS HiFi vcr and the recordings made are simply the finest tape copies of vinyl and cd's I have made. I have been able to amass dozens of NOS sealed VHS tapes at thrifts for mere few dollars. T-120 tapes give you 2 hours or 6 hours of superb recording. T-160 give you 2.5 or 8 hours.

Of course the vcr also has to be in proper condition and there is no guarantee that a vintage HiFi vcr will be but if it is they make outstanding record/playback tape machines.

Some people cry about the 60hz tape head switching noise. My JVC deck suffers no noticeable switching noise even at loud volumes. Any head switching noise that may be there is buried deep enough into the electronics noise floor let alone the groove noise of vinyl or even the typical dither of cd's.

No they may not look as sexy as a reel to reel but the HiFi vcrs that were the best were built impressively and with cool looks, cool displays and cool meters too for the most part.
Reel to reel is so cool for those of us who were around when it represented the best. Further, it conjures up notions of playing tapes in a studio situation, tapes of the quality that we never had access to. What could be more inspiring than huge reels running at high speed when we all know that was what the source always was when cutting records? If turntables are really cool then reel to reel is double so. Nostalgia, images of "pro-use-only" exclusivity, unobtanium all combine to an intoxicating blend for the audiophile.

Then reality hits: after hearing reel to reel at many shows and homes in the current "craze", I have serious doubts about the "right next to the master tape" claims of available tapes, or the duplication process, if they really are not to far removed from masters. I see a lot of nodding heads, but I don't hear the actual sound being even as good as a top notch turntable with great records.
You can find Teac X1000R and X2000R rebiult for reasonable prices (under $1,000.00) if you use the DBX noise reduction with a quality tape, you'll be surprised at how good the sound can be. Both have auto reverse. The X1000R has (softer) permaloy heads that can sound a little better than the X2000R that has cobalt (harder) heads that will last longer. The X2000R has hanging meters, and the X1000R has mounted meters. Both have a multitude of features, and can be linked together if you get a pair. It's a lot of work, but can also be lots of fun. Best of luck.
Find a good rebuilt or refurbished Pioneer RT-909, good sound, easy to use and built like a tank.