cartridge alignment

I use the supplied rig for mounting the cartridge on my 10.5 arm on a VPI superscoutmaster. Has anyone seen a difference when you then use an aftermarket tool like the turntable basics or mint? Are there more angles to see better or what? It seems if I hit that dot with the stylus and all else is well what else is there? Just wondering because of all the talk of alignment tools.
Thanks
sm2727
There are different schools of geometry for cartridge alignment. Depending on your table/arm cartridge combination you may, or may not, be using the ideal alignment.

Vinyl Engine has a lot of info on cartridge alignment
Stringreen,who makes the Bearpaws you always recommend? I gave them a Google and nothing comes up!
Dear Zenblaster: +++++ " Depending on your table/arm cartridge combination you may, or may not, be using the ideal alignment. " +++++

IMHO there is no " ideal " alignment. The kind of choosed alignment has IMHO nothing to " do " with what cartridge or pivoted tonearm we are using it but more with where we want the lower tracking distorions/tracking error all over the recorded LP area: at the outer side, inner grooves, in the middle or an average in between.

That's where reside the different alignments more used as: Löfgren"A"/Baerwald, Löfgren"B" and Stevenson.

Here you can read about:

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4854&sid=c310487171a981f072fc284b0f75a14e

just make click in the first post: Dowland and that's it.

you can read that there is no ideal/perfect solution but several solutions with its own trade-offs.

If I remember MintLP use Barwald/Löfgren"A" solution/alignment.
Several of the japanese tonearms came with overhang spec calculated using Stevenson alignment that permit the lower distortions at the very inner grooves.

Which your choice?, normally I use Löfgren " B" that gives me a lower average distortions as in between the null points.

Of course all that are according with those mathematic equations to achieve the overhang/off-set angle but when in playback all that theory can't be achieved due to human errors on the cartridge/tonearm geometry set up and because the LP im´perfections.

Anyway, I think we have to make our best attempt to make the " right " set-up, don't you think?

regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Raul, Thank you for your eloquent and informative post. I have learned quite a deal from reading your posts over the years.
I am currently using the enclosed products from VPI with the Traveler turntable.
It is impossible to use ideals like "best", each alignment geometry has it's benefits and it's drawbacks as you've said many times. I'm not sure what Harry uses at VPI, I have read that it is a hybrid. My Orton 2m blk sounds very good with this alignment and the rest of my system.