Modwright Oppo 105

I received my Modwright Oppo 105 today. It sounds good, but is relatively lean - and not very extended - in the bass. The sound overall is missing a fullness and organic quality that I associate with tubes as well. I have been using an Exemplar modified Denon 3910 for years, and so far I prefer it. Naturally, I am quite surprised and disappointed so far. I will be patient and put more hours on it, of course. I am very familiar with "break-in." Dan burned it in for 72 hours or more, but I have only put another 5 hours or so on it so far.

Has anyone else had this reaction/experience? Maybe it is the Electro-Harmonix tubes, and I need to try something else? I am also wondering about Dan's use of silver wiring. Thanks for any thoughts you have.

jfz
Kedoads...You won't find one on this site for much less of a new one...These Oppo units tend to hold their value...I sold my 93 to get the 105 and got my money back over the few years I owned it...So far the 105 is worth the $$$ IMHO...my curiosity is going to the next level with the upgraded mods since Oppo provides that allowance of a really good base unit to be expanded if desired..
Jfz, Lately I've been using RCA red base 5692's. They're oldies and hard to find ones that aren't microphonic but they last upwards of 10,000 hours and really sound sweet.

One of my all time favorites is the black glass Tung Sol 6SN7 from the 40's. They're quite expensive and also hard to find ones that are quiet and measure well.

A sleeper that JWM and I both like is the GE coin base 6SN7. I use a couple of them in my Atma-Sphere MA-1's and really like them a lot. Last time I was at JWM's, he was using them in his MW/Oppo 105.

By the way, I'm still enjoying the Modwright/Sony 5400 while JWM has gone from the MW/5400 to the MW/Oppo 95 and more recently the MW/Oppo 105. I always preferred the MW/Sony over the MW/Oppo 95 but have yet to compare my MW/Sony to JWM's MW/105. I suspect the MW/105 is a nice improvement over the MW/95 which I found to be less open, transparent and detailed than the MW/Sony.

As for the rectifier, I've been using a Mullard/Blackburn GZ34/5AR4 which I'm quite happy with. I also have a Philips/Holland for back up; another really nice tube.
I have both Modwright Oppo BDP-95 & 105. They are both phenomenal players. I swear that I did not think it could get better than the modified 95, but the 105 IS better. Modwright is a company I would compare to Decware. Top notch service and support. I don't know either of them personally, but my dealings with both were what I would call above and beyond service and support.
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I have a sick family member. At first I sold my Burmester 089 because in my system (Venture speakers, Concert Fidelity tube pre., Magnus MA-300 amp and Jena Labs Pathfinder speaker cables, Prana Wire interconnects and Purist Audio power cords) I wanted more mid-bass slam. I heard about the Great Northern Sound Company modded Wadia S7i and bought one. One great cdp, but the dac section has just ok. I sold that and decided to go tube cdp. I bought the Oppo 93 as a stand in until I decided which way to go, and that is when I heard about the Oppo 105 and that ModWright would be tube modding it. I was the first to sent to Dan, and did so by his reputation. To me in my system it is the best I have heard. I went from a $28K player to a $18K player, to a $3500 player, and I could not be happier. Digital just keeps getting better and less expensive each year. The ModWright with tube rolling has that "special" tube quality. Pristine highs, plenty of slam and smooth, silky vocals with beautiful decay of notes. It also let's your hear more detail/resolution of the recordings.