Modwright Oppo 105

I received my Modwright Oppo 105 today. It sounds good, but is relatively lean - and not very extended - in the bass. The sound overall is missing a fullness and organic quality that I associate with tubes as well. I have been using an Exemplar modified Denon 3910 for years, and so far I prefer it. Naturally, I am quite surprised and disappointed so far. I will be patient and put more hours on it, of course. I am very familiar with "break-in." Dan burned it in for 72 hours or more, but I have only put another 5 hours or so on it so far.

Has anyone else had this reaction/experience? Maybe it is the Electro-Harmonix tubes, and I need to try something else? I am also wondering about Dan's use of silver wiring. Thanks for any thoughts you have.

jfz

Showing 2 responses by talk2me

I have to agree with everyone. Dan and his ModWright staff (Kristin) are outstanding! I also have the tubed ModWright 105 and love it (sold my GNSC Wadia S7i and Burmester 089).
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I have a sick family member. At first I sold my Burmester 089 because in my system (Venture speakers, Concert Fidelity tube pre., Magnus MA-300 amp and Jena Labs Pathfinder speaker cables, Prana Wire interconnects and Purist Audio power cords) I wanted more mid-bass slam. I heard about the Great Northern Sound Company modded Wadia S7i and bought one. One great cdp, but the dac section has just ok. I sold that and decided to go tube cdp. I bought the Oppo 93 as a stand in until I decided which way to go, and that is when I heard about the Oppo 105 and that ModWright would be tube modding it. I was the first to sent to Dan, and did so by his reputation. To me in my system it is the best I have heard. I went from a $28K player to a $18K player, to a $3500 player, and I could not be happier. Digital just keeps getting better and less expensive each year. The ModWright with tube rolling has that "special" tube quality. Pristine highs, plenty of slam and smooth, silky vocals with beautiful decay of notes. It also let's your hear more detail/resolution of the recordings.