Feedback on the current Reference 3a changes ?

To me (IMHO), the new (slate grey) finish on ALL of the current Ref. 3a speakers looks like the crust on the hooves of old knu's. I'm not sure if the texture is the same... I have only been involved with young ones. Couple the knu finish with the "baboon butt plug" sticking out of the woofer and the race will be on for them to suffer the same fate as their Rhino-coat(ed) brethren (with the ribbons in the middle). Show the wife a picture of the 7th Fleet moving into the living room and there will be no "grey area" as to her response. And of course, for additional torture, lets shove brrrr-illium tweeters in there just to keep up with the current status and bling. I'm sure that they work well for some, but I have always walked away from them (The BE. tweets) VERY happy to walk away from them.
It seems as though Ref 3a has snatched the grasshoppers from our hands and we (I) didn't want them to. They looked great the way they were, they sounded superb, and the price was fairly fair. Are the future owners doomed to the knu look of industrial austerity ? Are the current owners of the gorgeous "gloss red maple" forever to sleep with a smirk ? Should we care ? Please tell me while my grey pants are still dry.

Tubeears
tubeears
Jafant,

I am a big fan of Focal. I just got rid of a pair of 706v (al/mag tweeter) and hated to see them go. Downright excellent pacing and very musical. Very, very important to me is that they played well at low volumes. I am in hopes that the DeCapos can do as well in that area.

Cheers,
Tony
I have a pair of the new DeCapo's. I cannot compare them to earlier versions, but do not let the BE tweeter put you off. These sound nothing like the Focal BE speakers which had harsh highs I really did not like.

But the last time I listened to the Focal Be line was about 10 years ago so perhaps the new Focal are better.

The DeCapo is ultra sensitive to placement, height, toe-in e.t.c you have to experiment.

Also do not just place them on a stand. You need the blu-ack, otherwise there will be no bass at all. Rather than blu-tack your best option is a set of Atacama Isolation Gel Pads. The Decapo sounds dramatically better with these isolation pads underneath.
Sharing a few emails with Tash Gohka, I also expressed a desire to mate a low powered amp with my De Capos. He recommended the Antique Sound Lab AQ1005 MK2 as a good choice. It was revised with the De Capos in mind, and they work well together.

I'm using an ARS Sonum Filarmonia and I'm quite pleased with the results.
One of the funnier posts I've read recently. Thanks for voicing honestly, Tubeears!
I discovered this thread looking for other impressions of the Reference 3a products, particularly the DeCapo's as I have been looking for a reasonably priced stand mounted monitor. Heard a pair of Episodes a while back for a brief listen and was quite impressed especially the upper frequency extension and air.

This past Saturday I finally had a chance to audition the DeCapos after reading so many glowing comments over the years. I brought my tube amp for the audition to at least get an idea of what I might expect. This is the BE model with the battleship grey Nextel finish which isn't going to win over the heart of my significant other, THAT I know for sure. Well I must say this speaker really caught my attention in a way that I didn't quite expect and is rare for me. While I like many speakers overall upon initial listening, very, very few have that WOW factor or can engage me for extended periods. Price generally has little to do with this impression. These speakers most likely won't appeal to those that prefers the typical British monitor type sound. My initial impression is that they are quite special in what I value and I plan an extended audition when I get back from vacation. I didn't hear anything I didn't like other than a bit of brightness that I attributed to a break in issue as they were pretty much out of the box, not too many hours on them according to the dealer. They really convey the emotion of the performance than projecting a characteristic sound other than that liveliness and immediacy that I cherish and that disappearing act, excellent tonality and separation of instruments in space that gives a greater illusion of real. I really look forward to hearing them in my room, they look promising.

I called up the manufacturer and spoke with Tash Goka. I expressed my concern over the finish and my wife and if there were other options. It seems that there were two issues concerning going with the Nextel finish, sonics in absorbing both light and and sound which allows greater transparency. The other issue is inventory management of the different veener and automotive finishes previously offered. So it appears for now at least that the Nextel is here to stay like it or not. Tash was a breath of fresh air in patiently answering my questions and concerns, the brightness that I heard during audition that seemed like a break in issue but concern that it might not be. He assured me that the new tweeter is most definitely an improvement and that the super tweeter used on the Episode and Grand Veena were discontinued by their Japanese supplier so this came into play in development of the BE tweeter. I haven't heard many if any comments regarding brightness attributed to the Reference 3a line. Has anyone noted this with the beryllium tweeter in this line? I too would be interested.