Speakers vs. headphones

OK, desperation is setting in (I'll admit it). I have a 12-by-13 room with 7-foot ceilings (carpeted room and acoustic tiles up top) and I've tried every speaker and sub placement imaginable for my very modest system (NAD 326 amp, Totem Mites, Velodyne SL-800 sub). Even without the sub, I can't get the sound to anywhere near what I'd like it to be. I had an even more basic system (NHT Super Zeros, Onkyo amp, M&K sub) in my old home and it sounded INCREDIBLE compared to what I have now. Like I said, I've tried diagonal speaker placements and everything else, including room treatments (panels on first reflection points – no bass traps yet, but it seems the problems go well beyond bass). The question(s): Is it time for headphones? Is it even possible to get decent sound in a room with these dimensions?
128x128jeddythree
After listening to Audeze, Hifiman and other highly regarded cans they have never managed to impress me like speakers have. Speakers can give me chills down my spine, headphones have never done that.
Speakers can give me chills down my spine, headphones have never done that.
+1
I have speakers that go to 20hz, and are my favorite speakers, cost completely no object, I have heard. Yet I get chills up and down my spine with my Audeze LCD-3 just as often. With the right amp they are just incredible, but for me it about the music, not how much my chair vibrates or stomach rumbles.

The fact that the Audeze really plumb the audio depths certainly helps....I don't need the hit on my body if the headphones are delivering the complete audio range.
Facten, I use the Audio Research Reference 150 with a resistive loading network.