Why so many JL Audio Fathom subs for sale I wonder

Just mulling some thoughts around about JL Audio subwoofers. Been thinking of adding one, maybe 2 to my system. They are awesome subs and come highly reviewed in the Absolute Sound, and Stereophile. Recommended components, powerful as hell, accurate, flexible...all very positive attributes. I have a few friends that own F112's, F113's.
So why do so many of them show up for sale here on A-gon? I'de like to get some input from A-gon members as to why that might be? Seems baffling that something so highly regarded and affordable ends up for sale so often. Thoughts anyone?
martinmobile
I use my f113 primarily for HT and it is quite a seamless affair.

Using a sub for music is as others have noted not a simple job. I always hated finding the right point because there never seemed to be one... what seemed ok for one track was too much or too little for another. I still have trouble dialing in the active bass section of my in-law's Martin Logan Ethos.

But with my Thiel SS2/2.2s and an S1 integrator, it's been a breeze. Jim Thiel is a genius. He took the guesswork out of integrating a subwoofer. It's all a matter of measuring how far the sub is from its nearest walls (and dialing those on the knobs in the subwoofer) and reading off the specs of the speakers and power amp (-3dB lowest frequency, gain, sealed/ported) and telling the S1 box what those numbers are.
I agree with the Thiel post. However, I understand the integrator, which could be used with any speaker, is no longer made.
The last time I demoed subs was +/- 4 years ago, when I was looking to replace a pair of Velodyne SPLs. Those were pretty good subs (especially considering their compact cabinet size) but I set out to see what a larger sub could do and I subsequently spent A LOT of time around SoCal auditioning.

These demos always vary with the set-up, but - at their best - the JL was very impressive. Overall, outstanding subs. Deep, tight, effortlessly loud on HT demo. Seamlessly extended the bottom end of excellent mains in a two channel system. I personally preferred JL to any other sub I heard on demo (including Velodyne, REL, Martin Logan, TBI and several other well regarded brands that I'd have to work to recall).

I also did a lot of test result study and found that Rythmik and SVS are both monsters on the test bench. Both brands are sold factory direct with an in-home trial period. I ended up buying a pair of Rythmiks for an in-home demo with the idea that they would go back if they didn't measure up. I should note that the Rythmiks are about half the price of the comparable JL, so I figured it was worth the effort. I never did a direct A-B in my system, but I was very happy with the Rythmiks so I kept 'em (and a few bucks, too).

I should also note that, while the Rythmiks feature excellent fit 'n' finish, the JL is a much slicker looking product, IMHO. I'm sure that many people would find the delta in price justifiable, but I decided to pass.

Marty
Post removed