You are there-they are here

What type of presentation do you prefer when listening to your system? Do your prefer the illusion of being somewhere listening to the performers or the performers in your room performing? Also, based on what you prefer, what speakers are you using? Hope this question makes sense.
demar
For large scale musice (eg, symphony), I prefer the "you are there" presentation where you feel like you are in the large concert hall where the music was recorded. For more initimate music (eg, small jazz ensemble), I prefer the "they are here" presentation.
My preferences are the same as those of Dracule1. Unfortunately, the room for my reference system somewhat compromises achieving the "you are there" presentation for large scale music. In my experience - "they are here" is easier to achieve.
From my experience, speakers will impact the "your are there" vs "they are here", which I usually refer to as speakers being forward vs. laid back. In my last speaker comparison with a friend, I found the Von Schweikert VR-4s to be fairly laid back, while my SP Tech Minis and the much-praised KEF LS50s were more forward. I love my VR-4s, but would like to get a bit more of a forward sound from them. Not sure what, if anything, would enable me to do that. Just want a slight touch more forward a presentation.

Of course, as mentioned above, a recording will affect this as well.
I prefer they are here, in front of me, space permitting. I say this as I can never get over the fact that large scale performances can never fit into my room and I can never get that fact out of my head unless, after a while, I'm able to suspend belief and lull myself to audio nirvana. Then they are here.

All the best,
Nonoise