Will a Proceed AMP handle LPCM input?

Does anyone know if the Proceed AVP will process linear pcm input? Namely, if I have a PS/3 decode the HD/Master Audio tracks, send them down the HDMI cable to a splitter/ssp which sends the audio output to coax/toslink to the AVP, can the AVP process the signal?

If the AVP can do, I'm sure the AVP2 can as well.

Thank you,
Tim
timjclark
Thank you HTH & Mezmo - you have answered my questions. I was hoping to indeed get the DTS-MA decoded in the PS/3 somehow into the AVP or an AVP2. Seeing as how I currently decode in the PS3 and send LPCM over HDMI into my Rotel RSP-1069 I was wondering if I could do something similar to the Proceed. But the DAC in the 1069 must know how to deal with multi-channel sounds in LPCM where as the DAC in the AVP/AVP would not (due to it's age).

I have this idea of using the 1069 for HDMI switching and send the audio out it's digital out port into the AVP/AVP2 to hand the sound reproduction. 2-Channel audio is of high importance to me.
I think you need to look a little further. Some of this depends on whether you have a AVP or an AVP2.

S/PDIF or optical can carry 5.1 Dolby Pro Logic and DTS formats, although not the new lossless formats introduce with Blu Ray (DD HD or DTS-MA). S/PDIF can only carry 2 channels of LCPM. But, Blu Rays have to have the original lossy formats on them, as well as the new lossless formats.

From what I can tell from reading, the AVP supports the original Dolby Pro Logic format , but the AVP2 added Dolby Pro Logic II (PLII). Original Dolby Pro Logic was 5.1 channel, but it tended to collapse sound into the center channel. Dolby Pro Logic II (PLII) is more natural. PLII was introduced by Dolby in 2000, so it was not in the AVP but was in the AVP2, which came out about 2002.

Since the AVP and the AVP2 AVP2 can decode both Dolby Pro Logic and DTS, although not the new lossless formats (DTS-MA and Dolby HD), if the PS/3 can put out Dolby Pro Logic or DTS (lossy) and you can get it to a S/PDIF cable, then the AVP should be able to decode them as 5.1 signals. On a Blu Ray player, there is an option to but out the lossy (D PLII or plain DTS). DVDs come with the lossy format only.

The AVP2 Manual describes using Pro Logic II, both movie and music modes. The AVP manual is also on the Proceed website.

The AVP2 also added LCPM support, including 24 bit 96 KHz digital signals, by a solftware upgrade. See the review here I cannot tell if the AVP does 2 channel LCPM over S/PDIF or not. It does have AES support from a CD transport, but that is not what you are looking for.

The new lossless formats DTS- MA or Dolby Digital HD can also be converted to LCPM or can converted to analog. As part of the conversion, a multi-channel signal can be converted to stereo. I do not know what the PS/3 does, but most Blu Ray Players, for example, can convert 5.1 DTS-MA to either 5.1 or 2 channel LCPM or 5.1 or 2 channel analog.

The AVP probably has a better DAC than the PS/3, so if you can send a 2 channel LCPM S/PDIF to the AVP2 you can use the DAC in the AVP.

There is lots of detail here. But don't give up on a 5.1 digital signal. It should be possible. Hope I got most of this right. Good luck.

Disclaimer : I have never worked with either the AVP or the AVP2 or the PS/3. But, from what I read, getting a 5.1 digital signal from the PS/3 to the AVP or AVP2 should be possible. And certainly a 2 channel analog should be possible.
Dtc,

I assume you meant DIGITAL Dolby when talking about the original and the mkII version. Otherwise you are discussing the analog versions.

"S/PDIF can only carry 2 channels of LCPM." FWIU that is correct.
Jrenman - yes, the Pro Logic and Pro logic II decoders on the AVP and AVP2 decode Dolby Digital AC3. AC3 was used with DVDs in the mid 1990s. The AVP came out in 1998 and the ACP2 in 2002 and used the digital formats of the time, DTS and Dolby Digital. The AVP2 added LCPM up to 24/96.

Incidentally, LCPM can pass higher bit depths and frequencies that CD (16 bit/44.1KHz). For example, wav files are LCPM format and can go up to 24 bit/96 KHz or 24 bit/192 KHz over S/PDIF. LCPM can also be multi channel, but not over S/PDIF.
Let me try to summarize this. The OP may already have figured this out, but here goes.

The AVP and AVP2 were state of the art multichannel digital preamps when DVD was the standard source. If you can feed them an audio signal like the DVD signal, they should work fine. Those formats are lossy 5.1 Dolby Digital or lossy 5.1 DTS.

The Proceed will not decode the new lossless formats on Blu Ray, namely Dolby Digital True HD or DTS-MA. But if you select the lossy format (Dolby Digital or DTS-MA) from a Blu Ray the Proceed should decode that fine. The Blu Ray standard says there must be a lossy format available on the Blu Ray.

The way to get a DD True HD or DTS-MA into the Proceed is to have the source downmix it to 2 channel, either LCPM or analog of feed that to the Proceed.

The AVP seems to support 2 channel LCPM at 16/44.1 and, with the upgrade discussed in the review above, at 24/96 over S/PDIF.

Correction: The upgrade to 24/96 came from a review of the AVP, not the AVP2. Sorry.

Sorry to beat this to death.

By the way, why are you trying to use the Proceed rather than the newer Rotel?