A question about preamplifiers and headphones

I have a NAD C162 preamplifier (I also have NAD C272 power amplifier and a NAD CD/SACD M5 player). I wonder if I can purchase Sennheiser HD 598 headphones and plug them into the headphone plug on my preamplifier, or whether I might need to purchase a separate headphone amplifier in order to listen to these headphones. I have received contradictory advice about this matter. I would love not to have to purchase a dedicated headphone amplifier. I mainly listen to classical music in my own living room.
richard_bloesch
The headphone output is usually an afterthought in the circuit...usually a poor quality chip. I am using an Ayre preamp into a dedicated amp for my 650's with astonishingly great sound.
Thanks for your advice. I did find a good deal on Sennheiser HD 600, and I'm now listening with them through my NAD C162 preamplifier (to classical music). It sounds quite good to me. Do you think a dedicated headphone amplifier would make much actual difference? I'm loving the sound as it is. Perhaps I'm just not that sophisticated.

Richard_bloesch
Congrats on the purchase! Glad to hear you're enjoying the Senns. It sounds like you're a man doing well.
The HD600's are forgiving with poor amplification, but it
doesn't mean they don't benefit from a proper headphone amp.
They scale well with a dedicated one.