Sub best at high crossover?

I am wondering, is my ears deceiving me, or is the Velodyne DD-18 actually sounding better, when I defeat the crossover (by setting it to max, 199hz), and turn the volume some steps down? This is in a fairly large room, with the sub well positioned, augmenting full range speakers. I hope others will share experience.
Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter
Thanks for response.
Wolf_garcia - I usually do trust my ears, thanks, but sometimes I am not quite sure, especially when the case is not so clear, plus it goes against the accepted rules...so thats why I am asking.
Tonyangel - agree, directionality and too wide range may be problems, but I don´t hear much of them at 199hz in my room. Instead the music has more dimensionality, depth especially, and sounds a bit more relaxed.
Emailists - yes there is a mid-room suckout, which is part of why I use the sub. I have measured, this is not a case of upper bass hump that I like. I run it at 199hz but turn it down, ok? The effect is mainly what it does to the rest of the spectrum.
Imhififan - yes, the sub´s equalizing is the suspect. A slight tension and flatness to the music. Subtle, though.
Martykl - I have the same result with different pairs of speakers. I had Dynaudio Consequence, some of the best there is regarding bass. So I don´t think it is because the sub does 200hz and below better than the main speakers (ok, from 30 or so, but this is not the main thing).
Bob_reynolds - yes, logically 35 or 45 or so would sound best with the speakers I´ve used. Only it doesn´t. At 199 the music feels "freer", more "here". Note, I never cut the low end from the main speakers, never liked that type of connection.
Rodman99999 - interesting link, but according to the table an 18 inch driver only becomes "undeniably directional" above 903hz. I am not quite there! It is perhaps slightly more directional, but that is less of a problem than the electronic glaze when I use the crossover.
Dms1 - too loud if taking out the crossover, yes, simple remedy, turn it down! I have it on 4 or 5 or so! (The preamp is the Aesthetix Io Eclipse).
So thanks all, although I remain a bit curious why other owners haven´t discovered this - if you have the chance, try it out!
Post removed 
I never said anything about directionality. My reason for the post was the frequency ranges being overlapped. That site has chart, indicating ranges/octaves. Happy listening!
I never did trust speaker manufacturers' frequency response specs. They always embellish real world bottom end performance. Nothin like throwin a hammer in the mix to get some attention.
My post was supposed to be silly, and any other interpretation is strictly prohibited. I use test CD warble tones to see what my room is doing to the sound and then I mostly ignore that, but it is interesting to see where your main speakers actually stop producing useful bass, and where the sub goes. That IS useful information in setting the frequency point in the sub relative to the mains, but final tweeking is up to my wax filled and frequency challanged earballs.