Sub best at high crossover?

I am wondering, is my ears deceiving me, or is the Velodyne DD-18 actually sounding better, when I defeat the crossover (by setting it to max, 199hz), and turn the volume some steps down? This is in a fairly large room, with the sub well positioned, augmenting full range speakers. I hope others will share experience.
Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter
Never trust YOUR ears or really, what is the point of this forum? Even if the suggestions here result in your hifi setup becoming an impractical pain in the ass and sounding like dog meat to you, you could be making some sort of aural mistake resulting in fun for you, but an utter lack of "geek credibility" among the Brain Trust...let this be a warning. Also, unless a "class field trip" to your house is organized, nobody around here will have a clue what your room sounds like. I'm sure this response was helpful. You're welcome.
Hey, if it sounds good to you, then by all mean, continue on. The only problems I see are in two areas.

The first is that at some point (or frequency), bass becomes directional. In other words, you can hear the sub woofer, or that the bass is coming from a particular location in the room.

The second is that I believe that subs generally perform better when they don't have to cover a wide frequency range. I believe that the subs that I've used sounded better (faster and tighter) and were more accurate when they only had to cover up to around 50 or 60hz than they did when the had to cover up to 100hz or more.

Still, like I said, you're the only one that you have to satisfy, so more power to ya.
The only real way to validate what your are hearing is to do a room response. there could be some suckout that the full range of the sub is complementing, or you might find that there is a huge hump in the upper mass response that you like, but you could refine the crossover and level once you know exactly what it is doing.