What tube pre amp match up with a solid state amp

Would like to try a tube pre amp with my mark levinson 335 amp. Must have XLR in and out puts. In the $3ooo to $5ooo range. What do i need to look for in paring the two together
thanks Pete
68pete
The Kavent S-33 is exactly the same preamp as a Vincent SA 93 for whatever that's worth (I might be able to find out about the outputs somehow). Although I'm not certain if the XLR outs are truly balanced (with one meter ICs it doesn't matter to me anyway, except for the fact that I like XLRs), I am certain the Mogamis sucked, which was my point. Also, hearing differences in balanced cables maybe is "not supposed to happen", but in pro audio using balanced mic cables it happens all the time.
By the way, is there any simple way to test if XLR outputs are actually balanced without a boatload of test gear?
Wow thanks for all the info. Some of it went over my head but all very usefull
PETE
Wolfman; with the amp or preamp powered off, measure resistance between pins 1 and 3 with an Ohmmeter. If you see something less than 1 Ohm then the pins are tied together like Atmasphere says. If the meter reads open (infinity) then it must be a true balanced circuit.
My ML 433 and ARC LS27 are a great match. A used LS 27 should just fit within the top end of your price range.