New preamp experience

Through the years, I have changed amps, speakers, front end components and various cabeling topologies many times across a large range of tube and solid state systems but the constant was always my Cary SLP05 preamp. I always perceived it to be the best pre I had ever heard and it is very adaptable and capable of applications on both sides of the fence. The 300b Coincident Frankenstien Monoblocks that I purchased sounded really great through this pre but O MY GOSH!! I just recieved the Coincident Statement Linestage pre amp and now I'm wondering..maybe the choice of preamp has all along been my weakest link. This preamp is absolutely incredable. I guess I learned a lesson here.
markus1299
Hi Pdreher,
Aren't you using the VAC REN 70 watt amp? Is there a sonic difference between the two Renaissance models besides the power? I'm curious as I usually prefer the lower power versions of otherwise identical amplifiers. But mine is a somewhat minority position.
Regards,
There is a subtle but noticeable difference. The 30/30 is sweeter and more organic vs. it's larger sibling.
It would seem an option to remove 1/2 the output tubes and effectively convert the REN 70/70 to a 30/30, or is there more to it than that?
Regards,
In my quest for the ultimate sound to my ears, the one lesson that I have learned is that more does absolutely not mean better. Wish I could recoup the bucks I spent to reach this conclusion but guess it has been all about the learning curve and what my ears perceive as the best.

Mark