can a new amp amp tame my speakers?

Just spent some time listening to what I've been planning to upgrade to for main speakers. PSB Synchronys. The Imagine T2's are close, but slightly veiled in comparison. My current, but old, Infinity Kappa 7's really don't give much away to the PSB's. My amp is an old Yamaha MX2, 125wpc, and I've heard them described as bright or harsh, and that's the only complaint I really have with the sound now. Can a well-chosen amp tame the highs on the Kappa'a, which use a ribbon-style tweeter? Or is the 'taming' I seek only going to happen with a speaker upgrade. I honestly don't mind upgrading the speakers, and fully expected to, but after today's auditioning, I'm wondering if I'm going to get that much benefit from that level of investment. $3500+ is a healthy chunk of coin for benefits of slimmer profile and tamed highs. In terms of imaging, weight, and bass, the Kappa's are equal, imo. The system is also the theater, but the avr can power the surrounds, so an amp upgrade could be 2 channel. A power boost is a must too, as the current 125wpc isn't enough for when wifey's not home and the volume gets wound up ;)
english210
Sometimes ones dissatisfaction is in the recordings themselves and not necessarily with the playback system.
@ English210,The problem you described can be fixed for sure with cables!thats were I would start,please do not go chaseing the cat by the tail by mixing different cables,I have friends on the gon that do that,seems they are never satiesfied with their sound!,I do not believe you need other speakers,I agree with acman3 with what he said,but with the exception of keeping the speakers you have,It appears on the most part that the aquaired amp you just got is working out good for you,excellent!,cables useally become an issue when we change a componet,the synergy has to be matched,their are plenty of cables that will fix the ribbons sound that you have,If you want a basis for recommendations for cables,and your desired pricepoint,let me know,cheers!
English 210, I jumped into the audiophile fray a couple of years ago and have learned a lot. As my ear has improved, I have learned a good deal about synergy of systems, etc!
Before spending more on speakers and amps, you might want to check on what you are playing your CDs in. We upgraded to an Oppo 95 last year from a Yamaha DVD player. I was astounded by the huge improvement in smoothness and imaging. My kids $300 bluray player sounded harsher and thinner by comparison.
Also, trying different interconnects made big differences in my speakers' perceived character. I tried very high quality Audioquest silvers that made my fast, but musical vienna acoustic speakers sound harsh on the top end. Low quality copper wires collapsed the soundstage and dulled both bass and treble extension. Everything affects the output!
Speaker wire upgrades--I stepped up from $150 monster cables to MITs. I bought OLD generation mIT 750 series2 with cvt speaker wires and had them professionally reterminated so that age and oxidation didn't interfere with my sound. MITs were a bit darker and more transparent and linear than the monsters were. They are reputed to roll off highs a bit, though I have not seen any issues with the sound I am hearing from my setup. That roll off however "could" help with your harsh highs issue.
I am not familiar with either your speakers or your new amp, so I cannot speak to their characters. However, synergy is an issue. If the amp is one you like, then take it with you if speaker upgrades are your chosen path.
When we first shopped for our system, we chose an amp we liked, then tried speakers with it till we found a set that sounded right with vocals, tympani and horns. Few speakers did justice to all three, but fewer still did a great job with vocals.
Good luck!! Have fun with the process!!!!
Deb
Audiolabyrinth, The only reason I left it open on the speakers was that ,if English WANTS new speakers, ( we all know how that is) he should go ahead now and get them.

There is a Manley Shrimp and a Quicksilver preamp, on the Gon, but the source may be the biggest problem.

Then there is cable abyss.
@ Acman3, I agree!,yes,the cable abyss!,I believe given the right equipment and cables his infinitys would sing!,ribbons can sound real good,if you know what you are doing!,hes going in the right direction,cables can and will fix his ribbon issues.,I also agree with everything else you said as well.cheers!