Brand Longevity

I don't often hear about this. You see brands like McIntosh that has been around for 65 years so when you buy it you probably feel confident that you will receive support for years down the road. Maybe forever. What happens to say Ayre owners if Charles kicks the bucket? I don't want to be a downer but this has to matter. What about my Rogue gear? Should I send Mark a carrot and a workout DVD? What happens if a meteor lands on him? What's the game plan? Can I still get parts? Should we be asking these manufacturers about long term guarantees?

I'm seriously thinking about a big time purchase as in my last integrated until I'm collecting ss in 20 years. Where's my guarantee? Maybe I don't have to worry because hopefully there will be a technician who can handle it.
donjr
Donjr..any reputable repair company can repair your gear on the condition they can obtain the schematic sheets from the manufacturer of the amp or preamp or other component's you have that need repair. Their are certain free audio electronic data services online where you can go to download the schematics on older gear. I have downloaded in the past schematics on older gear just by doing a schematic search on Google. Normally, only authorized repair companies get the schematics but if a company is about to tank, it should be no problem for you or the repair company in your area to obtain the schematics.
So now I'm in a bad mood because this thread got me thinking about my Squeezebox Touch...there's nothing quite like an extremely successful item being abandoned by bonehead manufacturers.
My system runs the gamut between one man band outfits (Ayre, Symphonic Line) and big corporation (Revel, a Harman brand).

Is there a risk that someday I could find myself possessing gear that is no longer easily repairable? Well sure. But the bottom line is you can't 100% anticipate the future and it's an individual assessment as to how to balance it against the present. My feeling is I could get hit by a truck next month, and then it wouldn't make a whit of difference if both Charlie Hansen and Rolf Gemein both choked on chicken bones the week after my demise. And if the wheel spins in the other direction, at least I'll have had the opportunity to experience the pleasure their gear provides, if not for as long as I might have wanted.
Back in the 70s I put myself through college by working in several different consumer electronics service departments.

Large companies that are still very much in business will often not have the part you need to service an older model! Don't think for a minute that that is something unique to high end!!

I used to really hate seeing Aiwa cassette decks as they would gun the spare parts only 5 years after the model was made. So you might need a small plastic part that had broken, something that only cost a few cents to make and the machine was unrepairable without it. I got pretty good at finding ways to put such parts back together with heat, wire and glue...

So when I started my company I made serviceability a high priority. That was because I might be gone someday but also because if we had to fix it, it would not be a nightmare :)

These days service is a lot trickier. It actually seems to me that getting tube stuff serviced is easier than solid state. Certain semiconductors that were easy to find 10 years ago are getting tricky to find! The IC industry in particular is very whimsical about what chips stay around and what don't. Try and find the ICs for a Technics SP-10 and you will see what I mean.