Upgrade from Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE

Hello Friends,

I'm considering an 'upgrade' from the fine Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. I love the transparency and bass control and the sound staging. I find my self yearning for bit more of that tube mid range magic but don't want to give up what I have in this pre-amp. I've been considering some of the BAT and ARC products which will be a significant amount of extra $$ even second hand. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
black528
I wrote "budget tube preamps" and stupid auto-correct decided it knew better. Replace "person" with "preamp" where applicable. sorry ;)
Also "tuned interconnect" should have been "tubed interconnect".
@Audiofun: Thank you for your suggestions. Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'tuned interconnects'? One that makes up for some of the midrange that I think I'm missing? Also, I'm a bit surprised about your comments about the REX preamp...That is a highly praised unit, although I've read some comments about some of BAT's pre's as sounding a bit dark.

Out of curiosity have you had a chance to evaluate and of ARC's offerings?
Black528:
I meant to write "tubed-interconnect" and yes it is exactly what it sounds like. The interconnect goes to a box which will have typically a couple of small triodes in the path. Exiting the box will be another set of interconnects. This will sit (typically) between your preamp and amplifier and can offer you some of that "tube-magic" you may desire.

Concerning the Rex.., high praise notwithstanding, it is dark and opaque sounding. It covers EVERYTHING with a layer of warm caramel. If you like that.., then :)

You will find that MANY MANY things are HIGHLY praised by magazines and individuals alike. My humble suggestion is LISTEN for yourself, most of the items; be it dacs, amps, preamps..etc are nothing to speak of. I have heard a very very very famous speaker which cost over USD $140K (again owned by a family member) and though it was praised to death by the magazines (which the company "coincidently" advertised in) sounded like a giant "HI-FI" speaker to me. Not real sounding, not relaxing, just SUPER detailed and annoying LOL!!!

You have to hunt and find the products which offer real sound.

The only ARC pre which I have heard and liked is the 2 box 40th Anniversary unit. My unc bought one and I set it up for him. VERY dynamic and fast. I personally think he should have kept it...but his dime :) Most other ARC gear can sound "white-ish" to my ears.., a bit bleached out. Except for a set of Ref 300's I heard over 13 years ago. I recall liking the way they sounded very much.
Black528:
This was just an idea, their are of course more cost effective ways to get there. You could even simply try cables that are known to impart a warmer more full bodied signature.