Upgrade from Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE

Hello Friends,

I'm considering an 'upgrade' from the fine Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. I love the transparency and bass control and the sound staging. I find my self yearning for bit more of that tube mid range magic but don't want to give up what I have in this pre-amp. I've been considering some of the BAT and ARC products which will be a significant amount of extra $$ even second hand. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
black528

Showing 2 responses by black528

Thanks for your responses guys. I do use Wyred amps as well. I did have the STP-SE mated to Cary SLAM-100 tube monoblocks for a while.

I went away from the tube amps because of the heat issue honestly, as my dedicated listening room is small and very well insulated and these amps warmed up the room beyond comfort. Additionally, the Wyred amps were leagues better in dynamics, S/N and bass control, but not as sweet as the Cary's in some aspects.

In addition to the Cary SLP-03, what other suggestions for preamp do you have? I've been considering the ARC LS-26, BAK vk51-SE, Cary SLP-05...these are all more expensive tube pre's. Would you guys see any of these as an upgrade?
@Audiofun: Thank you for your suggestions. Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'tuned interconnects'? One that makes up for some of the midrange that I think I'm missing? Also, I'm a bit surprised about your comments about the REX preamp...That is a highly praised unit, although I've read some comments about some of BAT's pre's as sounding a bit dark.

Out of curiosity have you had a chance to evaluate and of ARC's offerings?