Denon SUT or Micro Seiki head-amp?

Hello there. I recently bought the famous Denon DL-304. I connected it to my Project Tube Box II, and immediately noticed that something was quite lacking. I did some research and only then learned about this cartridge being extremely low-output, and the need to somehow boost up its sound. Right now, the options I have here in Argentina are reduced to:
1) Denon AU-320 step up transformer.
2) Micro Seiki MTA-41 head-amplifier.
The Denon could seem like an obvious option, since it matches the cartridge impedance exactly (40 ohms). But then some say it could veil the extraordinary level of detail of the DL-304, and I wouldn't want that at all. The Micro Seiki, on the other side, is a mystery: there's practically no info about it on the internet. I only got to know that technically it would fit the DL-304: it is good for cartridges between 1 and 50 ohms of impedance and from 0.1mV (DL304's being 0.18). The specs here: http://www.micro-seiki.nl/Accessory.html
Can anyone help me decide here? Thanks for any advice!
fedocable
Fedocable- Marakanetz MAY be correct but if there are import limitations it might not be possible to find a sufficiently high gain full function pre-amp or phono stage. Using the KAB gain calculator, a cart w 0.2 mV output requires about 64 dB of gain. The Pro-ject Tube Box II provides 60 dB of gain. Pretty much any active pre-amp will provide the additional 5-10 dB gain from the line stage, so inadequate gain may not be the problem. I'm assuming you have switched the selector on the back of the Tube Box to MC and are running the output of the Tube Box into a line level input of a pre-amp.
Oh, I didn't know about the KAB gain calculator, thanks for the info! So my impressions were correct: for a 0.18mV -that could even be less, who knows- you should require no less than 70dB. That would put the Clearaudio Nano preamp -a third option I was considering- in a dangerous zone, since it gives 67dB of gain. It seems I'll be safer with the Denon SUT (or the Micro Seiki!) and my Tube Box. Later on I can always reach for a better preamp.
Btw, of course: the Tube Box is switched to "MC" and it's connected to a line level input. And the sound is horribly weak.
So, having ruled out the Clearaudio, I'm back at square one: Denon SUT or Micro Seiki head-amp? Why do you think that the head-amp could give better results, Swampwalker? The problem is that there are absolutely NO opinions about this unit on the internet -only some specs... The seller tells me it's a "single ended class A" -I don't really know what that means, in case it's good.
Correction: according to KAB, the needed gain for my cart is 65dB. Still, I think that investing in a 67dB preamp like the Nano would be pushing the envelope...
I would have no problem with the Denon SUT into your Project...especially if you like the sound of the Project. To change for something else would mean change of bigger magnitude and quite frankly it may not work for you.....
Fedocable- Your welcome. I suggested the head-amp because in a highly resolving system, I have preferred a high gain active phono stage vs. a xformer. I have very little technical expertise in this area, but I am told that one of the reasons is that xformers can "ring". Also, load matching is critical; I have heard differences in sound between only a couple of ohms in a xformer that has the the ability to swap in different values. I don't think (but really don't know) if that is an issue w the head-amp. Finally, the "step up" effect of the xformer also "steps up" any artifacts from the cable that is upstream of it. The 30 dB gain of the Micro seki is more than adequate and should allow you to run it into the MM side of the project (30 + 40 = 70 dB), which would tend to lower tube noise (if any). It's battery operated so no AC noise issues and has outstanding S/N spec (-120 dB). All that being said, a properly matched xformer can give very good results.