Is it worth buying a headphone amp?

I currently have the Sennheiser HD555 (modded to HD595), and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth buying a headphone amp to get better sound out of them--or if I'm better off investing in better headphones first. Right now, I'm using the headphone jack on my NAD C372, which has very high 220 Ohm output impedance (the Senns are 50 Ohm). The sound is a little thick, dry, and lacking in microdynamic detail. If I get a headphone amp, I'd run it through the tape out from my amp. I'm considering the Schiit Asgard, as I'd like to buy American and $250 is right on the dot for what I want to spend. Any other suggestions?

I should note that in the past I have owned some pretty good headphones (Senn HD600, AKG K501, Etymotic ER4P). Sold them and downgraded when I wasn't using headphones as much as I am now. If I do decide on new headphones, it'll probably be a used pair of HD600 or K702 with an amp for them further down the road.

Thanks for your thoughts!
ablang
Headphone amps are a lot of fun. I WOO Tube headphone amp. You can play with the tube amp by "rolling tubes" which is trying out different types of tubes.

My headphone amp is in the office and part of a computer audio system.
I don't own a headphone amp but if you feel like practicing your soldering skills the Bottlehead Crack gets great reviews.
O/P,I suggest you research your choice of headphones carefully.Everything I have read on the AKG lineup points to them being on the brighter side of neutral.If you were to think in terms of nature, AKG's are characterized as being a clear,snow covered day as opposed to Sennheiser's which are usually described as a deeply colored sunset.The new HD598's can be had for your budget & after around 300 hours break in time they are simply wonderful,having that warmish Sennheiser tone but with a slightly less veiled midrange than the 600 series.JMHO for what it's worth.
That's true until AKGs are broken in. Also personal preference. I have experience with HD650 and K702 and to my ears after a year the K702's are much better and tons cheaper. That's me though. My hearing is shot. Im sensitive to bright and that only describes new AKGs. Zero bright when broken in.
I appreciate the cautions about the AKGs. I am a little worried that I might find them lean or bright, and due to geography I'm not going to be able to audition them before buying. That said, I thought the AKG K501 was a pretty amazing headphone when I owned it. Its treble was more present than Sennheiser, but I wouldn't have called it bright the way I would for something like the Etymotic ER4P (I got rid of those after a month or so). The K501 did need a LOT of break-in, which I understand is true of the K701/2, too.

I know I really liked the HD600 when I owned them--deeper bass than the K501 with a warmer and smoother sound overall. I might just buy another HD600, except for two things. One, used prices for the HD600 have seemed to rise a bit lately, making the K702 the better value. And two, I just plain think the K702 looks cool! Probably the wrong reason to buy headphones unless I listen in front of a mirror, but still...