Newbie Question: Why is turntable volume so low?

Hi,

I'm a newbie trying to get back into analog. Over the last two months or so I've purchased the following components from the boards here and on ebay:

Mcintosh MX120 pre-amp
Mcintosh MC205 amp
B&W 804N main speakers
Denon DP A-100 turntable

The speakers are bi-wired, and I'm using the balanced input / output connections for the left and right speakers, as well as the unbalanced (RCA) connections to / from the amp / pre-amp. The turntable is connected via RCA cable to the aux/phono input of the pre-amp.

The issue is that when I play back a digital source (CD or DVD) the system is LOUD at a volume level of 20 (and sounds great). When I play the turntable, the volume has to be turned up to 40 - 50 just to get it close to listening levels (and sounds just OK).

Please tell me I didn't spend all this money to get back into analog and have it sound so disappointing! Any tips, tricks and / or advice? I'd really appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks!

Bill
bill_chilian
I have a Cambridge 640p phono preamp (sounds great) and I assume, even with a decent output MM cartridge, that the gain from turntables is just inherently lower than standard line level in most cases, as illustrated by my previous setup of a preamp with the built in phono stage being somewhat lower gain with disparate cartridges. I have to turn the preamp up for LPs and I've learned to live with it as it still sounds clean. If the preamp is well designed and still quiet it really shouldn't matter except in extreme cases of the preamp running out of gas (no knob room).
When I posted, the above posts weren't there. If it does have the DL-103 low output cartridge, then you probably do need an outboard phono preamp for moving coil (MC) cartridges. Also, you do need to turn off the preamp in the MAC, if that is the cartridge, and if your going to use an outboard preamp.

The phono amp built into the MAC is for MM (moving magnet) cartridges only. You do need to check the type of cartridge being used.
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the answers, unfortunately, I'm still stuck. Hifitime, I have set the "ZONE A ANALOG INPUT PHON" setting (as opposed to the BAL1 or RCA options in that particular menu) but I'm still at a volume level of around 40 for the turntable (vs. 20 for digital inputs). The BAL1 and RCA options offer almost no sound at all (mostly just hum). I'm just worried that if the volume is at 40, and someone changes to a digital input without turning the volume down first, I'll damage my B&W's.

Your last post mentions some stuff over my head. Do you mean I have to buy an additional pre-amp just for the turntable? Totally uninformed newbie question number 3: Can I just buy another cartridge for the turntable instead (cheaper, no)? A different turntable would also be cheaper, I would think.

Sorry for all the dumb questions guys, but trust me, I'm worth it!

Regards,

Bill
Just get a mm cartridge that has higher output (5mv or more). But your levels will never match exactly the same. Another way to make the levels match is to put an ajustable attenuator between the dvd unit and the preamp to lower the volume of the dvd. This is what I do to make my tuner lower so I don't have that problem.
"I'm just worried that if the volume is at 40, and someone changes to a digital input without turning the volume down first, I'll damage my B&W’s.”

Hi Bill, just a heads up:
It’s a good practice to always rest the volume at its lowest setting after use. And after making sure it’s still set that way, the volume should be the last control engaged when starting up.