Old NAD or newer high powered Denon?

I am currently running a NAD 3020 in my main system. I love the amp. When paired with my Sequerra MET7's it sounds great. I also have a pair of Vandersteen 1C's and I am thinking that the NAD's don't have enough power to drive them. I am getting relatively poor sound quality out of the 1C's with the NAD. It closed in and not very dynamic (when compared to the MET7's). I have heard the 1B's in the past and they sounded amazing which is why I initially purchased them.

So my question is: would I gain anything in terms of sound quality of I purchase a higher powered more recent model Denon or am I just hearing the differences between the MET7 and the 1C's?
hifibear
I would agree that you need more and better power. I had a pair of the Vandersteen 1b and they weren't happy with the NAD 7125. The Harman Kardon 655vxi or the Luxman Rx 103 drove them very nicely. The 655vxi was 90 watts and the Luxman was 70 or 90 watts. Much better all around over the NAD. A McIntosh 4100 would also work well, another option would be to run a power amp using the NAD as a pre-amp (if it has pre-amp outs).
@Ths364 - so how did the sound change when you changed amps?
I am toying with the idea of using the preamp of the NAD and just getting a quality 100 WPC amp of some type.
i really like that 3020, too--assuming you don't want to spend big bucks on a major upgrade, i think your idea to add a power amp is sound. maybe something like an 80s hk or nad, which you can find for a couple hundo. i'd also look at adding a dac to your server; lots of recs on these pages for whatever your budget. good luck.
If you like the sound of your NAD, get an updated, higher output version. NAD has very nice amps that can easily drive your Vandies.
Hi Hifibear,

I have some experience with Vandersteens, although not any of their Ones. Still, I have a few suggestions.

First I would contact Vandersteen and ask them for minimum recommended amp size based on your room, music, and typical listening levels. Mention your intention to utilize a subwoofer since that can lower the power need from your primary amp. Keep in mind you can usually get by with a lower rated tube amp than SS.

Second, your budget of "as low as I can go to get good sound" is not terribly helpful. Possibly the best you could do for the least money would be to keep your 3020 as a preamp and add an amp such as a Dyna ST-70. That might need new tubes and caps but should cost less than $500. If you are lucky you might find one someone already updated and save on that.

For good sound with Vandy speakers there are some traditional recommendations - Audio Research, c-j, MusicReference, and Quicksilver. Smaller versions of these amps will still cost more than a ST-70 but should be more rewarding.

I'm focusing on tube amps since you mentioned wanting spacious sound.