Balanced preamp with HT pass-thru needed $2K

I just took the plunge on a mint Bryston 4B-SST2 PRO, and I need a preamp to mate with it. I'm replacing a Cambridge Audio 840a integrated amp. I use my system in conjunction with an HT rig, and take the L/R pre-outs from my little Yamaha receiver into my "good" system to watch movies, so ideally, I'd like my new preamp to feature HT pass-thru. It's probably not an absolute necessity if I can get better sound for the same $$$, especially since the Bryston has switchable (and variable) gain. I could probably get my HT rig to "play nice" at a reasonable spot on the volume knob. At any rate, 2-channel performance is by far my biggest concern.

I very much want to use the balanced inputs on the Bryston, so balanced outputs on the preamp are a must, along with at least one pair of balanced inputs, as my Cambridge Audio 840c CD player does better through the balanced outputs.

I am not against tubes per se, but the Bryston has a fairly low input impedance (20 Kohm in balanced mode), so a tube preamp must have very low output impedance to work. For this reason, I don't think passive preamps are on the table right now. Frankly, I would prefer a SS active preamp if at all possible.

Subwoofer outputs would be great.

My listening preferences lean towards:

-- absolute tonal neutrality
-- great imaging and soundstaging
-- great dynamics

i.e., great "everything" without undue coloration.

For $2K or less, what would you suggest? Gently used is fine. There is a Bel Canto e.one Pre-3 on A-gon right now for $1,100, and it seems to fit the bill. Any thoughts on that one? How about McCormack?

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks in advance!

jim
Ag insider logo xs@2xja2austintx
The Emotiva USP-1 would seem to fit your needs very nicely. It has gotten rave reviews and is very sanely priced: $499 delivered with 30 day trial. Also has 5-year transferable warranty...

-RW-
Thanks, RW. I actually owned that preamp a while back, and while it did meet my needs and sounded fine, I returned it because it was so garishly styled and visually "loud". Perhaps not the most rational decision, I admit, but especially when it was pulling HT duty, it just called attention to itself. I couldn't figure out how to dim the blue LEDs. I don't think it's possible.

That said, I'd also like to aim a bit higher in terms of performance. Any other thoughts?
Try to find a used Pass Labs X-1. I know it has balanced inputs and outputs and I believe it has a HT pass through. It is pretty neutral and a great value IMO. You could contact Mark at Reno Hifi. I have no affiliation. I owned this pre amp and Mark is a great dealer.
I'd suggest that you take a look at the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. I've been using one in my two-channel rig for a year and a half now, and I couldn't be happier. It's got balanced inputs and outputs, HT passthrough, and is as transparent as all get out. And, best of all, it costs $2k.
I've got no affiliation with W4S -- besides being an exceedingly happy customer.
Good luck.
-- Howard