Class A amps or Class D??: Which sounds better??

Amplifier performance and synergy depends on the other components, and cables in a system. I have read alot about the advantages of Class A.amps Though an older amp design, do class A amps necessarily sound better than Class D digital amps like Nu-Force, Bel Canto, and Wyred4Sound?? These class D amps supposedly run more efficiently, with less heat and noise and are smaller in size.

I have a friend who has a Musical Fidelity A3CR power amp and a Bel canto pre-amp, and a pair of Spendor floorstanders. The MF amp is at least 10 years old, and no longer made. I have listened to the amp in his system, and it does sound very good. Most noteably is its across the board smoothness. However, I think its performance is system dependent, and might be a liability in other systems. Would like to hear comments and opinions about these two amp "designs", and if one sounds better than the other, OR JUST DIFFERENT.

BTW, I am not sure that owning a 10 year old amp like the MF A3CR is a good idea, despite its class A rating, and a few positive consumer reviews I have seen. Thank you
sunnyjim
I think a bottom line in this discussion is the "bottom line." From what I've seen, Class D modules can be VERY inexpensive relative to what they potentially can offer, and, weirdly, some of the manufacturers are trying to sell things and make a profit. A little tweaking here and there with added tubes or Serious High End Brand Name, and "open the vault Jeeves...here comes da cash!"
"If we are to compare apples to apples, I recommend that the class D amp have the same power as the class A amp it is compared to. I think anyone will see at that point the difference in authority."

Brilliant! Brilliant idea. I am all for it ! My single question is: MOM, WHAT IS POWER?

If its continius (rms) power as most of manufacturers show in their specs then in my honest opinion its useless and misleading "digit".

If instead of bench test signal, we will use real life music then most speakers will require, most of the time - may be 10% of continius power. May be less.

A small percentage of time music is played is "filled" with loud sound (orchestral creshendo?) which to reproduce WITHOUT (!!!!) additional distortion you need 10 - 100 times more (peak) power then continus.

Compare two amplifiers with identical peak voltage, peak current, level of distortions, BW and....duration i.e. not 10 msec. Most class A amplifiers will do it with ease! Most class D amplifiers? .... try and see

All The Best,

Simon
Hi 2chnleben:

"The new class D: read about it here... "

I have read it and I understand that NCore is new amplifier on the market (excellent!) but how it is "new class.."? What is so different in itsdesign which make it "new class D" ?

Shell I sell now my Spectrons or....wait a bit ?

Thank you
Rafael
Wait a bit. Think about price/performance curves. Unless you like buying new amps every six months.